Cam
Cam, RV Mechanic
Experience:  10 years automotive mechanic with some RV experience
10949255

1994 Winnebago vectra p30 chevy 454 and e4l80 transmission

Customer Question

1994 Winnebago vectra p30 chevy 454 and e4l80 transmission only has reverse and 3rd after hitting small pothole on interstate. Has in past gone to limp mode after same bumps but returned to full function after short time.currently has 3rd gear and reverse whether connected to large connector port or not. The alternator was showing minimal output at time of failure and has been replace since. Am stranded in bosses la.
Category: RV
Expert:  Cam replied 1 year ago.
Sorry other about this issue. I am Cam. Lets see what we can do. This transmission uses electronics to shift, and having that combination of gears suggests as you know, limp mode. This happens when you have lost power to the transmission. So the first step is to check power to the transmission 20 pin round connector. The pink wire in position E is supposed to get ignition power with the key on. See the attached diagram. IF you do not have power there, then check your fuses and even your ignition switch. This is looking into the end that plugs into the transmission.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no power to port, fuses are good.ignition switch appears good,engine starts, etc
Expert:  Cam replied 1 year ago.
Engine starting only indicates one of the many switch contacts inside. Can you check to see if you have a TRANS fuse in your fuse block?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No fuse found for transmission. All fuses check good. Will driving damage trans?
Expert:  Cam replied 1 year ago.
No, this is limp mode and will be max pressure which is safe to limp to a shop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was under the impression limp mode was in low(1st or 2nd)? I have reverse and 3rd or 4th. Is problem electrical (rv) or trans?
Expert:  Cam replied 1 year ago.
Maybe I should ask what the condition of the transmission fluid is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pink on dip stick. Darker but still pink from cooler
Expert:  Cam replied 1 year ago.
OK, but we still have no power at that pink wire which really suggests a problem. IF you have some wire, try running power from the battery positive tot hat pink wire and see how it acts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Male or female on E port
Expert:  Cam replied 1 year ago.
The female terminal. I would expose and splice the power into the backside so you can still plug it in as the other wires control the shifting using the power in that wire. ,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took a while to get everything ready and after splicing in I rechecked with test light and it was hot. Figured the tran is fried. Sorry took so long.
Expert:  Cam replied 1 year ago.
Shoot. I was hoping for a small wiring issue. IS there more I can get you then?
Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer OK to Excellent service and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have.
Please know that the only compensation for my time spent assisting you is when you provide that rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,at least I know it's dead ready for a tow to storage and later search for a new tranny. Thanks again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Local Mechanic Recommendations. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Cam replied 1 year ago.
I am not from your area, however I can make a recommendation. Given the fact you travel and you want peace of mind, I recommend GM for this. The reason I do is first the quality of the reman units is outstanding. Second they have all the updated parts installed during the process. Third, prices are reasonable. Fourth and this is the selling point for most, 3 year 100000 mile warranty good at any GM dealer!