gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

We have just purchased and received a six gallon Atwood water

Customer Question

We have just purchased and received a six gallon Atwood water heater from Tiffin. No paperwork came with it. The model # ***** ***** GCH6A-9E or GCH6A-10E. It is called both on the shipping invoice. It does not work on electric, where is the reset (propane is working but gets very hot)? The red operation light for propane does not come on when propane is on. The blue wire is connected to the the old blue wire. On the old water heater the 12 volt was connected with one wire, so I connected the white and orange wires to the old yellow wire.The green ground wire to the green ground wire. The original water heater came in a 1992 Allego Bay Pusher Diesel. It worked on electric, propane and a line which ran from the radiator while on the road driving.
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 2 years ago.
Hi first take a look at the wiring diagram for your waterheater, then we can discuss it thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hi, I am not involved in live phone calls, so with that I will opt out and allow another expert to help you, thanks for your patience
Expert:  Larry Welch replied 2 years ago.
Hi I am Larry. I am curious with your question. You said you replaced the old unit with a new unit. How long ago was that, because 2013 is not a new unit unless it was old stock. Did the original operate on gas?, electric?, 12vdc, 120vac? both or a combination? We can only help you if we know and ask about all that is involved. We can solve this issue together if you still need assistance, Let me know. Happy Trails
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We ordered the replacement from Tiffin. From the 2013 number my guess is that it was old stock. The old unit operated from gas or electric, 12 vdc & 120 vac and a line from which heat comes from the radiator when the engine is running. The switch set up from the old water heater does not work with this water heater. It only had three wires. I connected the orange wire and the white wire together hooking it to the 12 vdc power and that doesn't work. The orange wire and the white wire need to be switched separately. There is a blue wire that is switched in the old switch. I connected blue to blue. The wiring diagram shows the blue wire goes to a remote lock out lamp. What is that ? What type of switch do I need to replace this to correct my problem of no power to the electric side of the water heater?
I am going to step out of this and let another tech give it a shot. Good luck.