shawnrbaldwin
shawnrbaldwin, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 years experience, state certified, shop owner, 3 years as service manager for large RV sales company.
11667866

how do I locate the fuel filter on a 1983 southwind by fle

Customer Question

how do I locate the fuel filter on a 1983 southwind by Fleetwood it won't start. I think it's not getting gas to the carburetor  

Category: RV
Expert:  Dads Mechanic replied 1 year ago.

Dads Mechanic :

good morning. I will try too help you with your problem. I will need some more information though. There are differnt chassis and engines which will change the location of the fuel filter. Thanks for coming to Just Answers. Jim!!! sorry didn't read completly chevy engine. which carburator is on your engine?

Customer:

how will I know which carb I have

Customer:

Are you still here

Dads Mechanic :

Well i'm sorry had myy sound turn off. probably a rodchester quadro-jet with that big engine, are the secondarys about an 1 3/4 diameter?

Customer:

what are you talking about what secondary. I can not get it started

Dads Mechanic :

Well you should have a 4 barrel carburator on this engine the hole that you in the middle of the carburator ,under the air filter. the front ones are the primarys and the rear ones are the secondarys.

Customer:

then yes about 13/4

Dads Mechanic :

had a whole disc written and went blank will start again.

Dads Mechanic :

Sounds like you have a rochester quadra-jet. The fuel line that comes in you will need to remove. The large nut that is behind the 15/16 or 1 inch wrinch size, remove this, now the filter is small and behind this nut. there is more

Dads Mechanic :

Inside here is the filter be carfull there is a spring and a gasket (metal ring gasket) were hard to find when vehicle was new, next to impossible to find now, dont loose them. next when you are replacing BE SURE NOT TO CROSS THREAD THE LARGE NUT, very easy to do. sometimes they used a pourise brass sometimes a small paper filter. you must be carfull not to put the filter in backwards. If you need more help pleas ask. Jim!!!

Customer:

ok thanks

Dads Mechanic :

If you have the small brass filter the small paper filter is the same I prefer paper better, If you haven't owned it since new someone may have put an inline filter ( if done properly ) should be between the fuel pump and carburator> Jim!!!

Customer:

I think the fuel pump is going bad. Is there anything I can do to try to get it to work.

Dads Mechanic :

emergency to get off road you may tap with a plastic hammer, may dislodge any dirt trapped in valve. if the diaphram is going bad you may be allowing gasoline to contaminate the engine oil. you should replace the pump and change the oil and filter.. Jim!!!

Dads Mechanic :

Full Size Image

CARTER Part # M6628 Mechanical Pump

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

$22.79 http://www.rockauto.com/

Dads Mechanic :

fuel filter

FRAM Part # CG3389DP Inline filter in display pack (Only 6 Remaining)

$1.65

Dads Mechanic :

Full Size Image

Dads Mechanic :

I am going to have to sign off soon is ther more I can help you with before I go?

Customer:

not sure but will try these things. Thanks

Dads Mechanic :

I'll be back later this evening. Jim!!! Just leave me a message

Customer:

Hi Jim

Customer:

still can not locate the filter have look everywhere help please !!!!

Expert:  shawnrbaldwin replied 1 year ago.
hello your expert has stepped out, my name is XXXXX XXXXX am another expert here on JA and will assist you. what you need to do is remove the air cleaner top. their is a wing nut or a hex nut that holds the lid on, if you remove the nut, the lid will come off. after the lid is off the bas of the air cleaner should lift up, unhook any hoses and plugs attached and pull the air cleaner lid and bottom housing off. once that has been done you will see a fuel line coming up fromt he fuel pump on the passenger side of the block, the fuel pump is located front of block passenger side, down low just above the oil pan. follow the fuel line up to the carb where it hooks into the carb their will be a filter inside the line unscrew the line fromt he carb. will be a bell looking cylinder attached to the carb. pull the line and then the bell. fuel filter is inside the bell. also you may have an in line which would be in the line coming from the fuel pump up to the carburetor. I would change both.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks will go and try now, will let you know the outcome

just let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, found filter thanks, XXXXX XXXXX will not start. removed the rubber hoses on fuel pump, no fuel is getting to the pump to me. found two more metal in line filters before the pump, but it seems like no fuel is even getting there, I am stuck.

okay glad you were able to find it. okay lets start with the basics
how much fuel is in the tank now? is their any way you can put about 5 more gallons in the tank with a can? this will eliminate sufficient fuel in the tank.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

aux tank is at a 1/4 and main tank is 3/4 full

when you put fuel in the carb did it start right up? and are we sure their is actual 1/4 and 3/4 fuel in the tanks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it did and the gauges appear to work it move back and fourth when switched from main to the aux tanks

i understand they move from one tank to another but when was the last time you put fuel in the tanks? I would put 5 gallons of fuel in and see if it will pull fuel with fuel added to the tanks. the sending units might be stuck in one place
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok ill try thanks

let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

try that but did not work

Can u syphon any gas threw threw the line?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

used an air blower and blew air back through the line to tank. when air blower was removed, know gas came through line

Did you try to put pressure in the filler pipe to see if it will push fuel to the fuel pump. You say it has 2 fuel tanks, is it a manual switch or electric switch from tank to tank? Jim!!!
Dads Mechanic, RV Body Repairer
Experience: I was a rockwood camper dealer for many years from 1970 on many years Servicing motor coachs, rv's and motor homes.
if you have gas coming threw the lines now hook it all back up and see if fuel pump will pull fuel. I would suggest dropping the tank and cleaning the tank out you have a screen on the bottom of the pick up tube in the tank that is probably plugged up and needing changed and im assuming a lot of rust and sediment. let me know if you have any further questions.
shawnrbaldwin, RV Mechanic
Experience: 18 years experience, state certified, shop owner, 3 years as service manager for large RV sales company.
fuel filter is in the carb for the bowl filter. and should have one inline between fuel pump and bowl filter.
Have you been able to locate the fuel switching valve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no I have not, it will not start from either tank

Is there a selection switch for either tank? when was the last time it ran on the road? Jim!!!