Dads Mechanic
Dads Mechanic, RV Body Repairer
Experience:  I was a rockwood camper dealer for many years from 1970 on many years Servicing motor coachs, rv's and motor homes.
65581030

I have 1976 pace arrow and I lost the rear wheels I broke off

I have 1976 pace arrow and I lost the rear wheels I broke off all the studs can I fix it myself or is it a job for a pro
Category: RV
Expert:  Dads Mechanic replied 1 year ago.

Dads Mechanic :

Sorry for you trouble. I don't know your level of repair ability. I would need to know what chassis and size of your motor home. Thanks for coming too Just Answers. Jim!!!

Customer:

it's about 25-30 feet long, a 1976 pace arrow

Dads Mechanic :

What size wheels are on your vehicle 225/70r16 or 16.5. or larger like 10R 22.5. Jim!!!

Customer:

16.5

Customer:

do i have to remove the center axle? and how would I gain access to the studs

Dads Mechanic :

ok yes you have to remove the center axle. then you will need to remove the 2 large nuts that hold the hub and drum assy on the rear axle. you will need a special socket or a punch and dull chisel to remove the large nuts. sometimes you can barrow these tools at advance auto or autozone. there is also a locking key on chevy rear axles to keep the lock nuts from backing off. you will need to remove this before you start to take off the large nuts. after you remove the large nut you are ready to remove the hub and drum assy. caution you may need to back off the brakes to get the assy off.

Dads Mechanic :

Now you have removed the drum assy, you can turn it drum side on and drive the broken studs out. If you are a novis at this drive every other one out and turn the assy back over and drive the new ones in. after that turn back over and repeat with the remaning broken studs. becarfull not to damage the oil seal that rides on the axle. if you need more help please get back to me. Jim!!!

Dads Mechanic, RV Body Repairer
Experience: I was a rockwood camper dealer for many years from 1970 on many years Servicing motor coachs, rv's and motor homes.