Dads Mechanic
Dads Mechanic, RV Body Repairer
Experience:  I was a rockwood camper dealer for many years from 1970 on many years Servicing motor coachs, rv's and motor homes.
65581030

I just bought a 1999 Grand Tour Vectra. It has 50A electrical

I just bought a 1999 Grand Tour Vectra. It has 50A electrical service. I'm installing a power outlet on my garage wall for the shoreline that came with the motorhome. This shoreline has a 14-50P plug so I got a mating 14-50R receptacle. The plug and receptacle use 4 wires, 2 hot (x and y), 1 neutral (w) and 1 ground. I understand that there must be 120VAC between each hot wire and neutral, i.e. from x to w and from y to w. Can I wire it to a ganged breaker in my house panel? This will provide 120VAC between each hot and neutral. Since the ganged breaker uses adjacent positions in the house breaker panel this means the two hot wires will be of opposite phase. Someone told me that having the two hot wires on opposite phases will cause problems and I should connect them to the same phase. As an electrical engineer that doesn't make sense to me.

Dads Mechanic :

Sorry for your trouble. I will try to assist you. Your are using the power cord that came with you RV?

Customer:

Yes, I'm using the cord that came with it. It has a twist lock on one end that connects to the RV electrical panel and a 14-50P plug on the other.

Dads Mechanic :

it is a regular stove or dryier plug on the house end correct.

Customer:

That is correct.

Dads Mechanic :

You should hook it up just as you would a dryier or stove in your house. The RV is wired for 22 volt power supply. youu should also have been supplyed with a 110 volt power cor for camp grounds that only have 110 volt hook-ups. Jim!!!

Dads Mechanic :

sorry the 0 didn't print in the 220 volt

Customer:

Thanks. It only came with the one cord. The owner referred to the necessary hookup as a "split 120", a term I hadn't heard before.

Dads Mechanic :

You can buy differant types of connectors for yor power cord and yourr water connections for your RV at RV dealers they can help you with your needs.

Hi!
I hope I have helped to resolve your problem. I am checking to see if I can assist with any thing else today, or clarify my answer to you.
Thanks for using Just Answers.
Dads Mechanic.
Jim