Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977
10974363

Hi I have a 2003 Four Winds Hurricane 33SL. Once I disconnect

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2003 Four Winds Hurricane 33SL. Once I disconnect from A/C power none of my 12 volt accessories work. Batteries both primary and auxillary along with terminals are brand new. I do not have owners manual to try and find reset for converter/inverter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael, hi please give the the model number and manufacturer of the inverter/converter and we can determine whats going on......thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael,

Hello and thanks for your help. The RV is a 2002 FourWinds Hurricane SL...problem is that I do not owners manual and do not know where inverter is located.

I understand, this is something you will need to help me with ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,locating it...................normally as it will use the 12volt distribution panel (fuse panel) we can get information off of the panel.....................and discover all these mysteries.......look there and give me as much information as you can.............unfortunatly there are too many models, and too many years to tell you exactly where the placment is.......But we can find it.........thanks for your help,,,,,,,,,,helping me...........Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael,

Happy to help...and I am somewhat mechanically inclined. However, I need help knowing even weher to look for panels. There is a panel in right read side of the ebd in the back and that appears for A/C systems. There is also a panel in the front engine compartment that has traditional type automotive fuses. Is there another box?

there will be a fuse panel for the interior 12volt system,,,,,,,,,,,,the one at the engine compartment is most likely for the engine functions...........Another clue is that the 12volt panel is usually located near the a/c distribution panel.............we'll get there thanks again for your help...............Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The fusbox in the rear is split into both A/C and 12 Volt. I check all the fuses on the 12 volt side and they are all okay. All of the A/C fuses are fine (not tripped). The reason I think it has to be something that controls everything and not just a fuse is because nothing works on 12volt. No lights, no fridge, no leveling system nothing.

thank you,,,,,,,,,in your question you refer to the issue that when your plugged in,,,,,,,,everything works..........when you unplug,,,,,,,,,,,,you get nothing..............I agree that there is a function that 'ties' the systems togeather...........it may very well be that the converter has a switchover that changes from converter power (which you get) to battery power................this is what were looking for..........it may also be that the battery is not comming on line due to an auto breaker being tripped, and not comming back online...................lets try looking at a different angle,,,,,,,,,,,go to the house batteries............with a test light, or voltmeter,,,,,,,,,,follow the voltage on the positive cable................go where it goes..........see if you locate the auto breaker will look like this..............and I will assume at the panels you describe there is no information (model numbers, manufacturers names) and it wont help us........Also if you access the 12v fuse panel from the rear.....take it out, or access from behind in cabinet..........there will be the large positive wire that feeds it,,,,,you can also follow it to a component. thanks for your patience.........Michaelgraphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will need to go purchase a volt meter....how did we pick up this exchange later...are you available?

we can work here as long as it takes, just wait to respond back until your ready... I will be here then or shortly there after..............a 12volt test light will be more convienient in this instance,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they are inexpensive at auto parts...........you may want to purchace (unless you have it) a piece of wire so that you can attatch to a ground in the coach that may not be available at the locations you are testing (test light has an alligator clip for ground)......................thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please see attached photo. I think this is the autobreaker you are referring to. It is coming off the two auxillary batteries. I did not get tester but when removing from side panel it was mounted on the positive cable that lead to under the chassis sparked. I would assume that means this breaker is working? I am correct?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are you there
I was away for a bit, now I'm back...........thanks the spark tells us that either you grounded the wire (not likely) or the terminal you are at has a load on it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,could be that this was (is) a bad connection...............try this,,,,,,,,,,,,,take the wire off,,,,,clean the connection and wire end,,,,,and reconnect.........this can be the weak link...........I'm hoping so.......................Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To be clear...there is one positive cable that is going to this breaker and then another positive cable that goes to somewhere under the chassis. I took the side of the breaker that has the cable that leads to under the chassis and i purposely touched metal and got a good spark. wouldn't this tell us that the breaker is working?
In response to your last ............the breaker will have battery power goint to it,,,,,,on one terminal,,,,,,,,,,,and battery power comming from it to the load (hopefully the inside fuse panel).......... if you touch metal with the cable from the battery,,,,,,you will get a spark,,,,,,,,,,,in turn if you touch the 'other' terminal to metal and get a spark, I would agree,,,,,,,,,,as long as the coach is not plugged in..................Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so assuming breaker is working...what next. thanks for your patience

we dont really want to Assume anything, as it will hurt us later,,,,is it possible to attain a testing devise? if we assume,,,,,,,,the wire goes from the battery to a connection that we are looking for,,,,,,,now with us working back from the battery, you must follow that wire as it enters the coach to feed the 12v fuse panel.........