Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

I have a 2003 Thor Wanderer Lite 182 DT hybrid travel trailer

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Thor Wanderer Lite 182 DT hybrid travel trailer - the front bunk and the storage bay underneath is collecting water from somewhere, so much that i just noticed the floor under the storage bay has rotted out and is only being held together by the vinyl. I cannot tell where the leak is coming from, but am wondering if there are known spots on this model that cause this area to collect water, and the best steps for repair.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is Randall and perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Nothing about this model shows that...........the water can be leaking from anywhere up there and running across the ceiling and down. It might also be a matter of condensation from moist air on the inside of the front cap. What are you using to seal this up? Dicor Lap Sealant is the product of choice here. Clean off any old and loose sealer and clean with some Thetford Roof Clean and treatment first. Any way to check on the insulation on the front cap? You might have to contact Thor and get a build diagram and it wouldn't hurt to run this by the Customer Service Department and see what they have to report.

Please get back to me if you need more here and help with testing as all follow ups are included in our fee. No limit as to time or number of responses needed. Positive Feedback in the form of a "smile face" would be greatly appreciated when I have fully addressed all your concerns relating to this issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately Thor California (not thor industries) is out of business - was bought out by another company who also went under (from what i hear). Up here in canada there is not a lot of information on dealers who will service this model.

If I had access to a customer service department that would be my first choice - do you happen to know if there still are dealers for these trailers that will service them? I cant remember what sealant I used but it came highly recommended - thers is defintately a large leak somewhere though, but without tearing up the inside of the roof or walls, i really cant locate it. I suppose I will ahve to think of something creative.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Any RV dealer should be able to do this for you. I hadn't heard that about Thor. I will check that out. If you used silicone or some other product that won't work well. Be sure that the water isn't leaking around the base of the A/C as this gasket compresses over the years and can allow water to enter in and then run to the lowest point. Best to reseal the whole roof and know that isn't the issue. Include being sure that the drains on the sides are clean and not full of leaves and crud. The water can back up in there an go into the holes left by awning bolts and such.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Any other suggestion on sealant? Dicor apparently does not ship to Canada. I will check out the insulation, but what will that tell me? Since the floor appears to be rotting from the bottom up, I will assume that the insulation under the floors in the front storage will be saturated as well.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Buy it from a dealer here and have them ship some up. Camping World sells it as do most places. I suspect someone on Amazon or E-Bay does as well. American RV is a good place. Panther Products in Washington probably has it as well. I suspect that all that has to come out and perhaps even the front cap removed to repair this correctly. Not that hard if you are handy with tools. Send me some photos and I can tell you more. Use a free web hosting site and send me a link.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ill tear into that vapor barrier material under the trailer tonight at the front and get some pictures for ya. That storage bay is directly under the cap. The wall that separates it from the rest of the trailer is the bedroom wall separating the dinnette and from what I can tell the dinnette floor is find (not sagging, supports my weight). I also noticed when I lowered that front tip-out that the canvas had some pooled water as well. thanks for your help, will gladly accept your answer after some further digging and review of pictures. Cheers
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Keep in mind you can Bookmark this and always come back to it any time. Follow ups are good no matter how much longer they come. I get some over a year later!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a hectic week here in Calgary - hoping to get pictures today.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Not a problem...........I will keep an eye out for them.