Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

rv refrigerator all electric for my rv Understand this avaiable..elec

Customer Question

rv refrigerator all electric for my RV Understand this avaiable since so many gas/elec have caused fires.

Thanks
Jackie
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi There!

So are you looking for a all electric fridge? Meaning no LP...... Also how much traveling will you be doing? What is the Year, Make and Model of the RV?

Thanks, Robert

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1998 Alpeline, travel some but not all time
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

OK

Here is the issue, a residential unit can be used but it will draw some power and unless you have an inverter (takes DC voltage and makes AC voltage) then you will not be able to run an all electric fridge, you would also need a large battery bank for the inverter, it is possible. Also a RV fridge is designed different, it has no moving parts and a residential unit does which means vibration, twisting etc can reduce the life of a residential unit. I can say that the current model LP/electric fridges are pretty safe, they have new safety features that will shut down the fridge if a problem occurs. They have worked out many of the failures and I would try to go will a 2 way RV fridge (AC and LP)if possible, if it is installed correctly it should last a long time. IF you want a residential unit it is possible but as a RV Tech you do not see these often unless the unit is not being moved..... IF you have anymore questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert