Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

Water heater propane wont ignite...ignition light never goes

Water heater propane won't ignite. The ignition light never goes on when I press the switch. What oh what could the problem be?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi There!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer..

This could be a number of issues. First off Do you Know the make and Model number of the water heater?

Also when you turn the switch ON do you hear anything at all under the outside cover for the water heater??

Thanks, Robert

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Atwood ge16 ext. I hear nothing.

Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

IF you are getting no noise at all, I would go to the outside and look under the cover for a thermal fuse, it should be on a brown wire it will have a clear plastic sleeve over it, if it is blown the water heater will not do anything, for testing you can put a jumper wire in it's place but only for testing. Next I would pull the harness for the control board and clean the contacts on the board with a pencil eraser, verify you are getting power on that harness, no power on that harness look inside the RV for a fuse box and check the fuses...... The control board could also be faulty and a shop can test it out with a special tester.... Robert

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!