Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

1981 Fleetwood: diagram..Travel trailer..only one light comes..hooked

Customer Question

I need and electical diagram for a 1981 Fleetwood Wilderness Travel trailer. When I plug in to external 120 vac power, the lights and water pump come on but when I hook up to a 12 DC battery only one light comes on. This has changed, the first time I hooked up the 12 VDC battery all the lights and water pump came on. Then I plugged the Trailer into the 120VAC generator and the lights and water pump came but when I went back to the battery, only one light comes on and the water pump does not come on.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi There!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer..

I can try and help you but I can say finding a print this old is very difficult and you might need to contact fleetwood to see if they have them going back that far.

I can try and give you an idea of what the problem could be.

SO when you are running on Battery power only, do you have any DC voltage inside the trailer?

Thanks, Robert

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Robert,

All the lights are 12 dc, one light works so yes there is some DC voltage at least to that one light. The AC/DC converter changes the 120VAC to 12DC to run everything. I can get 12 DC to everything when the 120 VAC supplies the Converter. I do not know the mechanism or logic that switches it when you just go staight to 12 VDC. Maybe the Battery floats on the Converter 12 VDC output and then back feeds the 12 system when the converter turns off but that is a guess by me. I have a degree in mechanical engineering but don't hold that against me. I have a lot of experience with AC power distribution but that doesn't help me with this system.

Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

OK

To me is sounds like the converter could be at fault as it is not switching back to the source for battery power, many times the switching is done inside the converter, if you can get me the make and model number I can look into that a little more for you. I would also look for an auto breaker and make sure it is not all corroded and the voltage is the same on each side, many times they will stick this on the positive battery cable near the battery but I have found them inside before where the cable comes in. You are correct, the power converter makes the voltage when it has AC voltage it should also be charging the battery, so I would see if the voltage is going up when you plug in. If you can get me the model and make of the converter I should be able to get you some type of wiring diagram..... Robert

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Why is there power to just one light while on 12 vdc power and to all of them when on 120vac. This has changed from the first time I turned it on when all the lights came on while on 12 VDC. If converter is not switching back how come one 12 vdc light works?

Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

OK

I would make sure you do not have a smaller wire on the battery, that could be the source of the 12 volts. It could also be a connection issue and I would find the 12 volt fuse board inside and see when you are unplugged if you have 12 volts DC going to the fuse board. In theory whatever light is coming on it should be fused or protected. So I would go to the source and see if that entire fuse block is being powered, if not it is getting power from another source.IF you can get me the model of the converter I should be able to help more...

Robert

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will get Converter model next weekend when I go back to the site.

Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

OK

That sounds good, just reply when you have that information and we can keep going on this. I do check daily and will respond. IF I happen to find out before then I will contact you...

Robert