Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

older rv with a dometic rm 1303 refer unit..propane..12 volt

I have an older RV with a Dometic RM 1303 refer unit that will not operate on 12 or 120 volt, but runs on propane, so I know the 12 volt supply t othe refer is ok. Do I need to remove the refer in order to get to the control board, or is it possible to access it otherwise
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Go and CLICK HERE for a copy of the Service Manual for this model. The control board is on the rear. This may be a bad fuse OR a bad heating element. Take the cover off the board ONCE YOU UNPLUG IT. One fuse is for the 12 VDC side and one is the AC fuse.
If you have a multimeter you can test the heating element. If you need one they can be found at most automotive or hardware stores for about $15 to $35 for a digital readout version. They are easy to use and come with instructions. Please get back to me if you need more on this once you do this. All follow ups are included in our fee. No limit as to time or number of responses. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had already downloaded that manual, but the photocopies of the pictures in it have been copied so many times that it's impossible to tell what you are looking at.What I really need to know is how do I acess the control board,do I have to remove all of the gas service ect.

When I looked closer at the connections on the unit the 12 volt lock out wire had pulled free from a butt splice connector. I redid that and it appeares to transition to 12 volt properly now, but still not to 120 volt

Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
You have to remove that tin cover by removing the screw on either end. It can be somewhat difficult to get it out of there. The fuses for the AC will be on the control board. Check that first. If you have a meter you can do this. The manual should at least explain. Not many of these running around anymore. Parts are getting hard to find. If the AC fuse is good I would have the control board tested. Dinosaur Electronics makes one for this still. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Randall, it's almost dark now and I work the next 4 days, 12 hr shifts.let me get back with you on Wensday.Terry

Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.

Not a problem, Terry.........just Bookmark this and you can come right back to it any time. R.J.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just got an email asking that I accept the answer that I asume was generated by the web site,as you probably recall I said that I had to work 12 hr shifts the next 3 days and that it would be Tues before I could get back to it,I only work a half a day Tues ,so I'll get right back on it when I get home. From memory though it doesn't appear that I can get to the back of the refer without removing all of the gas unit, but I'll let you know Tues,afternoon,thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
You don't have to remove all of the LP section, Terry. You can get that cover off and slide it out without doing that. I don't recommend messing with that LP section. There are no parts out there for that any longer. And yes, that was generated automatically by the website.
R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Long story short, Yes, the gas assembly has got to be seperated ,feed line disconnected, screws removed that secure gas shut off , and one additional screw that secures the pilot/ignition assemble at the right of the access panel for the control board.The propane unit than can be rotated in the base of the chiminy to gain the room neccessary to pull the control board rearward and be able to disconnect the harness leads and remove the board. I wish that I could post a photo of the board . There are no fuses on the board. The board is marked as having been manufactured by the Electrolux company,though I could find no schematic for it online.There was a burnt circuit trace leading from one of the thermostat input terminals,over to the switch connection terminal block,which I wasn't seeking guidance for in my posting,but simply if it was necessary to get the propane unit out of the way. The downloaded manual tells me that I just remove a couple of screws and it comes out but it is not correct.

FYI, I am an Industrial Control Technician.I know how to use a multi-meter, and calculate circuit voltages and currents.If I could locate a schematic I could repair the board.I don't have the time to sit down and draw out the circuit and calculate the circuit voltages,resistances,and currents.

Not real happy with the answer that I got from you.It was as though you looked at the manual that is online and simply regurgated what it said.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
One great thing about our system is that you don't get charged UNTIL you actually accept an answer and you haven't yet. Not a problem............happens all the time. And I have worked on a number of these over the years and changed out the boards and have never had to take the LP valve off one. It is a little tricky, but it can be done. As for any schematics on the boards...........they don't exist for our trade. Dometic isn't sharing that with us and they don't sell this board any longer. Dinosaur Electronics is your only option.

I suppose I could have explained all the manual said, but the whole purpose of giving them to a customer is to save time and give them something they can have for future use. We don't charge any extra for it. Sorry this didn't work out for you. It works well for most customers. You may asks for a refund for your deposit and you do have the manual..........not a bad deal. R.J.
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience: RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Randall,If there is a way to get that board out I sure can't see it.Anyway,I found a P1388 board that's NOS on ebay for 75.00 and what caused the board failure was the 120 heater cartridge had shorted, 39.00 on ebay so it should be up and running on 120 shortly.Thanks for your assistance.Terry