Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

how to replace Magnetek model 80 with a WFCO ultra III model

Customer Question

how to replace Magnetek model 80 with a WFCO ultra III model WF-8735p need wiring I need a wiring digram . Has and automatic line switcher , and a Inteli Power 9100 Model pd9160A Input 130vac 60hz 1000 watts, output 13.6 vdc 60 amp(includes changing and load.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.

Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

That wouldn't have been my choice for a replacement, but since you have it you can go ahead and install it pretty easily. Did you disconnect the old one yet?

Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
The new WFCO unit will plug into the same wiring hookup as the old one. Disconnect the batteries first by taking the ground lead off. Then hook up the positive and negative feeds to the new converter. Take care you get them in the right connection. Put the negative feed back on the batteries and then plug the new converter in. That should do it..........but, please get back to me if you need more or this isn't clear. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No its not clear I ask for a wiring digram because the Magnetek model 80 has less wires than the Wfco ultra III ? I have the Magnetek 80 disconnected . From the Switcher and from the Inteli 9100 and the breakers. Do you have a wiring digram to do this?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.

That isn't a stock hookup.........can you attach a photo of it to your post or post a photo to PhotoBucket and send me a link?

Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Go an CLICK HERE for a view of the fuse block in your power center. Notice "C" which is the positive terminal and "D" which is the negative terminal. Each one has an attachment screw on the back side as well for each one. Get rid or any "switching device" as that is someone's add-on here. Hook the positive feed from the converter AND the batteries to the front and back side of terminal "C" and then the negative from the converter and batteries to terminal "D" and when you get that done hook up the ground lead from the batteries again. Once the converter is plugged in you are ready to go. Take out the old equipment. This will be just like a hookup today is being done. Please get back to me if this isn't clear. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I checked out the fuse block, but mine is not hooked up now . But I did take pictures of the wiring and the three boxs . Can I insert one of the photos using the paper clip about have never done this before . By the way the Wfco box was not my choice but it was Crabtree Rvs choice .They said this was a better box. I have no Idea whats the best.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Everyone has an opinion...........just going by what ones we see here. WFCO has more problems than any other brand.

Yes, you can use the insertion feature with the paper clip. This just varies depending on your browser. Get those to me and I can make some comments..........but, if you do what I related in my last post you will have a working system. I will watch for your photos.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
I see all kinds of disconnected wiring.............who messed with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I said in the beginning I had disconnected the old magnettek 80 , and when I got the Wfco box the wiring was different has more wires and I also said it had a Swicther. I have other photos I took .graphic
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Is that the new WFCO box I see in this second photo? That isn't going to work here. You can just leave the old Magnetek power center in there. Did anyone check to see if that Parallax converter is bad or not? I think these guys just wanted to see you a bunch of stuff you might not have needed and created a whole lot of work for you. Is this one HERE what you are trying to install?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Is this the one HERE you are trying to install? That isn't going to be big enough to really do a good job on this coach and is a whole lot of extra work. Can you return it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it's the wfco , what happen was on the Old box it burnt all of the white wires of the box without triping the breakers . it melted the old metal box where the white wires where connected . I went to the Rv center and this is the box I received.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
O.K.............sounds like you hooked up to a 240 VAC power source and fried the old one.

First of all..........get rid of that transfer switch there if you don't need it. Do you have a genset you are trying to hook up as well?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
You need the shore cord leads, the Romex leads from the genset and the 120 VAC feed OUT of the transfer switch to the new power center. Do you have those and are they hooked up to the transfer switch according to the diagram in there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The first pic I sent the switcher is at the bottom of the picture , and the lead wires to it are hookup but the black and white wire is not hooked to the new box.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
I really think you need to have someone assist you with this. It will take forever at this rate.
If you are not familiar with AC and DC circuits this will be the best way to get this done. Check to see if you have a mobile tech in your area that can come out and do this for you.

The lid on the transfer switch has a diagram in there on how to wire it up. I would have thought the WFCO box came with some wiring diagrams. Did it come with any instructions or not?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes the switch is hook to the in come leads I did not discount them , other than the leads to the power center , I dont know where to hook those black and white wires as the digram that came with the wfco , say nothing about where to hook them.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Go and CLICK HERE and see page 4. Blow it up so you can read it. The black positive feed goes INTO the main 30 amp breaker. The white lead goes to the bar where all the white leads hook up. The ground wire goes to the bar where all the grounds hook up. Each branch circuit hooks up the same way. Then the DC feeds hook up to each one of the DC circuits and the leads from the battery hook up there. Again..........see the instruction page.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

on the dc side the wfco as 7 wires thats hook to fuses but the magnetek only has 5 , also on the magnetek on the printed circuit there is 3 large red wires that hooked to 3 lugs on the circuit . On the wfco there are no lugs . so I dont know where to hook them

Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
If you have extra circuits on the WFCO unit............make sure those aren't the leads to the batteries. Cap off any you don't need. There should be a red and white that are the positive and negative to the batteries. Those are usually tagged "+" and "-" on them. Are any that fit that? Now you get an idea why I don't care for WFCO products. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand and I thank you for being so patience with me. The red and white wire your talking about, is it the 2 wires that come from the Inteli power 9100?Thats the big box at the top of the First picture.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Those should go to the batteries..........or went to the Magnetek unit. The red and white wires that should be coming out of the WFCO unit needs to go to the batteries for charging them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.

I can't make out what this is.........I think it is time to call in someone to assist you in this.

A good mobile tech can straighten this out in no time. R.J.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have said what I wanted , Im sorry you couldnt help me. I thank you for trying.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
This venue works well for most items, but it is limited when it comes to things as complex as this. Give a mobile tech a call and have them assist you. R.J.