Jeff Myers
Jeff Myers, RV Mechanic
Experience:  Owner of an RV Repair Facility for 9 years. 12VDC and 120VAC, ALL Appliances, Any and ALL problems!
12703275

my electric dometic rv awning will not fully close or open

my electric dometic rv awning will not fully close or open it just clicks so i guess i have power do i need a motor if so how do i install it?
Category: RV
Expert:  Jeff Myers replied 3 years ago.

Jeff Myers :

Hello, my name is Jeff. If you can get me the model and product number off of your awning, I can better assist you with your problem. It is difficult to get since the awning will not open but I am hoping that you have the paperwork on it. If you cannot attain this information then just the model of it will do. I.E. weatherpro or 9100 power awning. Thank you.

Customer:

product XXXXXXXXX model 916gu15.0018 serial 81399728 04/02/08

Customer:

ok i will wait

Customer:

I am still here and will wait

Jeff Myers :

I am gathering the information for the awning now.

Customer:

ok

Jeff Myers :

When the removal of the Right Hand Drive Assembly is necessary, the laft hand must be pinned or the fabric will unroll. You will need a cotter pin or something equivalent to insert into the roller tube assembly. On the left hand tube, roller assembly, turn the tube so the the slots in the tube are lined up with the holes in the rod assembly. Insert pin into slot and tape over it to prevent it from falling out.

2. Insert a wood block, between front and back channel to

space the FRTA 2 - 3 inches from the coach. Push arm

assembly closed. Wrap a nylon wire tie around arm to

keep it from extending.

3. Remove Hex Head 1/4-20 x 1/2” screw that attaches

arm assembly to top casting. Remove arm assembly.

4. Use the electric drill with a 3/16” bit to remove the 3 pop

rivets that secure the end cap to the roller tube. Pull the

drive assembly out of the tube and remove any burrs or

rivet bodies.

necessary, the left hand must be pinned, or the FRTA

will unroll and the spring tension will be lost. See Section

“C”, Step 1, paragraphs “a” and “b”.

Jeff Myers :

The part number for the motor assembly is(NNN) NNN-NNNN037B. It should be available at any of your local RV dealerships or repair facilities. The instructions for removal and reinstallation will be included with the motor as well. With the motor just clicking, it does sound like the motor is locked up. The only way to test the motor is to pull the wires up and put foreign power to them (hook up 12V to them) and see if the motor turns.

Jeff Myers :

I apologize for the crudeness of the response. The text settings on my computer would not edit.

Customer:

ok thanks i will give it a try

Jeff Myers, RV Mechanic
Experience: Owner of an RV Repair Facility for 9 years. 12VDC and 120VAC, ALL Appliances, Any and ALL problems!