Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

hi! i have a 1987 minnie winnie and all of my lights in the

Customer Question

hi! i have a 1987 minnie winnie and all of my lights in the back are out. the back side marker lights are on.
i've read a bit and it seems i "have a bad ground", but I don't know where to look to check that out and how to correct it. any thoughts?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.

Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is Randall and perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Start with the connections which are usually behind the left hand taillight assy. It can be the feed on the positive side or the ground. Take a 12 VDC test light and hook it up to a good ground and see if you have a good 12 VDC feed to each one. Take the lens cover off and the bulbs out to test the socket. This can tell you if it is the ground side or the feed side. You should be able to track it down this way. Sometimes the ground side can be best repaired by running a new ground lead. Please get back to me with what you find and we can go from there. R.J.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Uht ohhh, I may not be knowledgeable enough to carry out your instructions. I do have someone here who can help me thought who will probably understand all of the jargon you're using.

A couple of questions. . . Are the instructions you provided for the 1987 Minnie Winnie specifically or is it a general answer for any motorhome? Other than that, I think you've probably given me all the information my friend will need to diagnose the problem.

This has been really great. I have questions about my RV all the time. It's in rather horrible shape and I'm trying to fix it myself. While I'm pretty handy in general and can read directions and weild a wrench, I don't have electrical background, nor propane or hvac. Thanks a bunch!
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
That should be just exactly what you need to do for this unit. Realize that most of these coaches are built just about the same way. If your friend understands DC electricity this should be not problem. A 12 VDC test light is an easy way to track the power. If there is power to the socket the test light comes on. If none...........it won't. The lights are either not getting power OR have a bad ground. Once you determine this we can track this down. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, Randall. It's 8:30 p.m. and I'm going to log off for the night. My friend is going to help me tomorrow, so I'll show him your messages. I doubt he'll need more info from you, but if so, I'll get back to you. We should have it all fixed tomorrow and I'll accept the answer, most likely tomorrow! Thanks a bunch!
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Follow ups are included so have him come back to this if he needs more. R.J.