Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My dometic fridge keeps blowing the fuse and wont power up

Customer Question

My dometic fridge keeps blowing the fuse and wont power up at all, as soon as i replace the fuse she goes, feels like a short somewhere, but i have visually looked around all over and can see no short, any ideas, it is the original in my 99 newmar
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.

Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

What is the make and model of your fridge? It will be on the data tag on the inside of the box. And is this fuse in the main power center or on the control board on the fridge? Get back to me with that and I can grab a manual for you and we can track this down. R.J.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
a lot of the info has rubbed of but it does say NDR1062, is this helpful
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.

Yes.........that will do it. Are you using this on LP mode or AC mode and is the fuse in your power center or on the control board?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my fuse is in power center(main 12v power distribution). as soon as i put fuse in it pops, i checked the 3a and 5a fuses in back of fridge itself, they are still good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you still with me rj?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Yes.......I had to take a phone call. Go to the control board and disconnect the ground lead from the power input. Try it again. If it still blows, then disconnect the power lead from the input and try it again. We need to see if this is in the board or in the feed line or the element. R.j.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she still is blowing fuses as soon as i put them in, first diconected both ground spades from control board, still blows. then disconected the batt + or power input to board and she is still blowing fuse? is it possible that the control board is bad, and can i test it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what do you mean by element?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
If you pulled the leads off the control board.......which means the power INTO the board and not the heating element. Let me know what you find and get back to me...........and then we can go from there. It sounds like perhaps a short in the board itself. If it were the heating element it would fry the fuse on the board. Or it may be in the circuit coming to the fridge. These things I asked you to try will tell us that. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i pulled the first spade from left, it says batt+, it is a red wire, there are two or three more spades next to it that say heater + and heater nuetral. so im pretty sure this is power supply
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.

Yes........so if you are still blowing the fuse with the power disconnected it is a problem in the wiring from the fuse panel to the fridge. A staple may have gone through a wire or mice are another source of this problem when they chew up the wiring. If you can find it close to the power supply sometimes it isn't hard to fix. Otherwise it can sometimes be easier to rewire it. R.J.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
wow! do you think power is getting into my control board from a different source? is this even possible? thanks for being so patient, can you give me any other advise, or have you seen this happen in other units?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
When you have the power leads taken off the board it isn't getting power. That means the positive lead has some kind of short before it gets to the fridge. I would check all the areas I can see........which is by the back of the fridge and around the power center. We see this about once every few months. Most times a staple in the coach has finally worked it's way though the wire. Many times it is quicker and easier to rewire the fridge with a new power source. In the wall it is impossible to find. R.J.
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience: RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hey randall, if you are still with me, can i pull all spades from control board, without further damaging anything? just to make sure i was pulling the right ground and power spades for further testing, would you suggest it?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
You can, but be sure you mark them as to where they go........and get back to me if you need more on this. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so there are two red wires that go into a combiner? then into the control board.. i unhooked them both, then hooked the one that is same color as into my power dist panel, and the thing came on! do you have any idea where the other wire comes from or what it is for? the one that is into my fuse panel is red with yellow stripe, and the one that i unhooked is solid red?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
I thought you had unhooked all the power leads from the fridge? Where does the red lead go? Hard for me to tell much from here as there are after market products added on many of these like a cooling fan or safety switch on the stack. Any chance of attaching a photo to your post or putting it on Photo Bucket and sending me a link? That would be much easier then for me to tell you. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
of course it (the all red wire that was shorting) goes right into the wall of coach and out of sight, and is not hooked to any other part of fridge
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea of what that might be..........cap it off for now and if the fridge is working then wait and see what might not be and it might give you a clue. Sometimes they take power into and out of that hookup for another item, but you should find something not working now if that is the case. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is it possible that it(the faulty wire) is from a crossover or secondary coil? my fridge has a climate control switch inside top of door frame that you can only access when door is open?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
That wouldn't go up inside the wall. It is in the harness that comes off the board and goes to the top of the fridge. R.j.