Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

II blower will not start until moving fan manually or knock

Customer Question

Hydro Flame 8525-II blower will not start until moving fan manually or knock on , what's wrong and how do I take blower out only?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on your question. I was out all day and just got home and it seems some of our other techs were as well. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

This sounds like the brushes are shot in the motor and it will need to be replaced. This can't be done without taking the LP line loose and we generally don't recommend that for owners. The problem is checking the LP for leaks when you get done. If you want to attempt this let me know. I can get you to a manual and guide you in this. The method depends on if you have an outside access panel or not. I do see that you had it out before so go HERE and see the manual on this. And if you want to proceed get back to me. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Randall;

According to my understanding I am now to remove the furnace to change the motor's brushes. Am I understanding well?

I also spoke with a friend yesterday that shared he also had a dead spot on his starter once and the only answer was to change the motor. Is it possible that this is also a dead spot in the motor?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Yes, but that is usually the brushes that cause this. And if you have an outside access panel you don't have to remove the furnace to change the motor. If you don't then you will have to take it out to get to it. The exhaust has to come out and then the gas valve assy once you take the wiring loose. Be careful with the ignition lead and don't pull on the wire.
You can take the wiring and usually just remove the ties and push it up out of the way so you can get the fan shroud off. Then you have to remove the blower wheels off both ends.
Usually some WD 40 or PB Blaster is needed to loosen them. Some are clipped on and most have a small allen screw. Once loose you can twist them back and forth so they slide off. Then you can remove the mounting screws on the end and take the motor out.
It goes back together the same way. If you do take the whole thing out it may be easier as you do have to push the LP line back out of the way to get the valve assy out. BE SURE THE LP IS OFF AND STAYS OFF! Put a plug into the end of the line for safety.

Most shops carry a motor but you might want to shop around as the price will vary. E-Bay and Amazon have some competitive sellers. Get back to me if you need more on this. R.J.
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience: RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wasn't able to get to the furnace yet and should be able to get into it on monday. I do have access from the outside, however I didn't find a way to take it appart last year that's why I pulled it out. So I will be checking it out and return to you with my progress and how able I was to follow you instruction.

Thanks Reg
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
O.K.............get back to me when you are ready. I will be here tomorrow afternoon as I have to go out in the morning. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Randall;

Thank you for your help and for the details you supplyed. I removed the motor and opened it. It was terribly dirty and black. I cleaned everything with air, sanded the motor parts and reinstalled and it purrs like a kitten. I didn't get this new and it never ran so good.

Reg;)))
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes you get lucky! Hope you put some oil on the bearings while you were in there.
Don't forget to check the LP line for leaks. Thanks for letting me know............R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did put oil on the shaff of the motor, however I believe that there was only bushing no bearings. Reg
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Yes...........it is an oilite bearing surface. Sounds like you got it covered. Good job!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks Reg;)))
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
10-4
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Randal, the cold is coming and the furnace returned to it's same problem. So we did improve the status of the motor although the problem appears to be something else. What do you suggest??

Reg;)))
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
I suspect that the brushes may be about gone and that will lead to erratic behavior in the motor. Most of the time you just have to replace it. This is the most likely cause if the connections are good and the board tests out good. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I know how the board tests out good? How do I do this?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
It takes a special board tester that RV shops will have. Take it into them and they can give you an answer in a few minutes. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will do this in the morning and change the brushes. Thanks I will get back to you after I am done.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
I have not found any brushes that work in those motors...........so if you do, please let me know. R.J.