Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Hi. I have a Canadian Tire 3000 watt eliminator power inverter.

Hi. I have a Canadian Tire 3000 watt eliminator power inverter. It has 2 each of positive and negative inputs. The instructions seem to state that I will need 2 sets of 25mm squared size of cable (assume that is 4 AWG?) hooked up TOGETHER in order to get the full potential (2500 watt continuous; 5000 watt surge) from this inverter. So then I hook up 2 positive leads together to the battery's positive post, and 2 negative leads together to the battery's negative post, both sets then going to their respective correct polarity on the inverter? This seems odd, but that seems like what is required. Is this correct? Also, do I still include a fuse? If so, where and at what rating? One fuse only or 2, one on each of the similar cables? My intent is to be able to produce 2500 watts from my truck battery (while the truck is idling) then to plug in directly to my RV's shore power inlet. Thank you very much.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

That seems a little strange to me as well..............let me do some checking on this model and get back to you shortly. I want you to be able to get this hooked up correctly. Give me an hour or so to check this out. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

Here's a little more info on the inverter...

Canadian Tire model(NNN) NNN-NNNN6 Digital Power Inverter.

Output: 2500 W continuous; 5000W surge; 105-125 VAC; 60Hz; Modified Sine Wave.

Input: 11.0- 14.0 VDC. It has 16 Fuses, each at 25 Amp, all built in.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Great........and thanks for that info. I will get back to you shortly. R.j.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.

I couldn't find a manual on this unit and I suspect they have it made for them by another company and just put their label on it. I did go through what was out there and read a number of the reviews.

Most inverters just have one set of supply cables and you hook up however many batteries you need and size the cables for the supply and amperage you need to have. This is the most common way to do this. Then you just need one fuse on the positive feed TO the inverter. This protects it against overload. By using two sets of cables you would need one on each positive feed. They did this I suspect so you would get the idea you need more than one battery to power this in order to obtain 3000 watts from it. One battery wouldn't last more than a few minutes under that load. Even two won't supply that for very long. Most 3000 watt inverters have four 6 VDC batteries in a series/parallel connection for power. It sounds like you don't want to get that involved, but get back to me with a more detailed idea of what you want to do here and I can tell you what you need to do in order to get this done......or if you need to do something different. R.J.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, thanks. Now this quote comes directly from my instruction manual:

"If connected with loads of over 1000 W, two sets of same size wirings must be connected to the SAME battery kit. Damage may occur if using one set only or if connecting two sets of wirings to different batteries separately." That suggests to me that it is ok to use 2 batteries if they are connected together, or how do you understand it to be?

But, my intent is to simply hook the inverter up to my truck battery and have the inverter produce my desired 2500 watts while I run the truck engine.

Does that may sense to you? So I figure on putting 2 sets of cables from the one battery in the truck--> to the inverter, turning on the engine then switching on the inverter and thus live happily ever after...

Am I being realistic?

Also, does the size of my truck battery matter, if I am running the truck engine at the same time?

Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
The size of the batteries does matter and the number of them depending on the load you want to put on the inverter and for how long. Do I understand you are plugging your RV into this? Give me some idea of what the load is here and for how long. And yes, the batteries have to be hooked together. Once we determine the load we can get to that part. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, it appears that this is a lot more complex than I thought.

Just want to run the RV microwave. It is rated at 1350 watts. Do I now have to add more batteries to the one mounted in my truck, that starts my engine?

Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.

Yes...........you should have at least two deep cycle batteries for this. Two 6 VDC golf cart batteries wired in series are going to give you the most "bang for the buck" or two 27 series 12 VDC batteries in parallel. You can mount these any where and have them charged with the truck and even tied into the truck battery for auxiliary starting on a remote solenoid which is easy to wire and isn't expensive. The two 6 VDC batteries can be wired with just one fuse for the protection and use both sets of leads. The fuse is going to be a blade fuse and 150 amp rated should be fine. Not cheap. Most RV shops will carry these or they can be found online. With the truck running you should have enough power for this.......unless you are going to cook a chicken in there. Batteries are rated in amp hours which shows you how long each one will deliver a certain number of amps. Watts is obtained by multiplying voltage times amps. Or in this case dividing the watts by the volts showing you how many amps are needed. I know this is somewhat technical, but I am trying to show you how this is figured. As I mentioned earlier......most RVs have four 6 VDC batteries for this and run up to a 4K watt inverter fine. If this isn't clear get back to me. R.J.

Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience: RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.