Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

Suburban: heater..5th wheel..tank is hot, but no water coming

We have a Suburban SW10DE water heater in our Montana 5th wheel. The water comes out the bleed valve hot and you can feel that the tank is hot, but no water coming out of the faucets is hot. I was hoping for some suggestions on what else to check.

Also, when you close the hot water valve cold water runs through the system.  when the hot water valve is open no water comes through at all.

Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

This is probably a two-fold problem. The seeping out of the PTR valve is from not having any air cushion in the tank. This can be resolved by draining out the water heater and then refilling it. Be sure you turn it off and let it cool first and flip the lever on the PTR valve first to let the excess pressure off or you will get soaked.

The fact that it isn't putting out any hot water can be too much calcium buildup in the water heater OR the bypass valve(s) is in the wrong position. Check that on the back of the water heater. Some are one lever and some have two or depends on the maker of the bypass.

Go HERE for a manual on this which will describe this. I would either Bookmark this or print out a copy for your future use. Then get back to me if you need more help with this. Follow ups are included in our fee. R.J.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We have checked the bypass lever and it is in correct position. When op We don't have any seeping out of the PRT valve (this hasn't been the problem). The problem is no hot water flow from the unit into the rig and out the faucets. We did go ahead and follow the steps to drain the water and then refill to see if this helped.

We still can not get any hot water from the water heater into the rig and out of the faucets. But if you open the drain the water flowing out from inside the tank is hot.

You may have some calcium buildup in the back flow valve on the hot water exit. Some can be taken off and cleaned, but they aren't expensive and usually just better to replace. All RV shops carry these. I like the brass ones better than the plastic ones. Take and drain the water heater and see how much white chunky junk comes out. This will give you a clue. The hot water line is the top one on the rear and those valves just screw on and most can be taken off with a Crescent Wrench. Use some Teflon tape or liquid Teflon when you reinstall and a new gasket on the fitting is a good idea. R.J.