Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

I replaced series 900 model 950 magnetek converter with a

Customer Question

I replaced series 900 model 950 magnetek converter with a power max pm3 converter. The batteries continue to deplete. I have 110 coming into the converter and the battery leads connected to the other side of the converter. Only checks 11.8 on the battery side. Can you explain how you would have gone about this proceedure. It is in an older dolphin coach
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Take a reading right at the converter leads. You should have about 13.7 VDC there. If you do then go to the batteries and check for a shortstop breaker that may be tripped. They look like this one HERE. The button on the side needs to be pushed back in to reset. If you have an auto reset breaker then check the voltage on each side to be sure it is passing the current through. Get back to me with what you find. And if you haven't had the batteries load tested and checked for shorted cells recently you should have that done. They may not be holding a charge. R.J.
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience: RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am doing this for a friend. The batteries had been on a charger because the other converter was not working. The batteries only had 11.8 to begin with and now the reading at the converter is 11.3. There is not a breaker like you show here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am doing this for a friend. The batteries had been on a charger because the other converter was not working. The batteries only had 11.8 to begin with and now the reading at the converter is 11.3. There is not a breaker like you show here. I'm sorry I hit the wrong button please stay with me
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
If the voltage at the converter is only 11.3 VDC it sounds like it isn't plugged in or the breaker that controls it isn't on. Check that in the power center. Flip all the breakers off and then back on. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is 110 volts at the plug where it plugs in.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
If you have good power there and only 11.3 VDC coming out then the converter isn't putting out the correct voltage and it may be defective. It needs to be about 13.7 VDC. This should be under warranty if this is a new one. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so there is no difference in how the two different kinds of converters are supposed to be hooked up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why is the dc voltage at the converter output the same as the battery voltage?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
No.............is this what you installed here? Did you check the reverse polarity fuses? The line from the batteries goes right to it............even though it may be through the fuse panel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes this looks the same and yes, I checked the fuses even before installing it because someone else had also tried to install it and had reversed the polarity causing the batteries to arc. the fuses are good.

It just confuses me to think the line from the battery goes into it on one side and the 110 goes in the other. Seems like 110 should go in and battery line should go out

Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
It plugs in............no way to get that wrong. If somebody else hooked this up wrong it may have been damaged. If the fuses are both good and you have 120 VAC coming into the plug then it should have about 13.7 VDC coming out...........if not it is bad. R.j.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am just prone to think I did something wrong. So bear with me please. if the batteries were low to begin with, that would not have any bearing on the outcome of installing the converter? the converter just is not working, but if it were, it still would not charge a dead battery?

Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
It would charge a dead battery IF the battery is good...........if not, it won't. Best to have the battery load tested and checked for shorted cells. Even then you would get the proper voltage OUT of the converter at the unit. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, I'm sorry, one more question for clarification. In your last response from the "even then....." You do mean that the proper voltage should come from the converter even without the batteries being fully charged. So in this case, the battery AND the converter could be bad.

How do you load test a battery?

they are 12 volt batteries and are maintenence free

Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Both can be bad............and stores that sell batteries can load test them and check them for shorted cells. You can disconnect the converter from the batteries and you should get the proper voltage from the outgoing leads if the power is on. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have to disconnect the batteries before disconnecting the leads from the converter
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
It is a good idea, but not absolutely necessary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

you have been very helpful and I appreciate your help even after I pushed the wrong button first.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
I will leave you alone now, have a great evening. Thank you

Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
Bookmark this and you can come back to it later if you need more. R.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you, I will go over and disconnect the battery tomorrow and see what happens.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
O.K.............
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The converter in question turned out to be bad. Got another one, put it in and did all the tests, all good. Everything is working fine. Thanks again for all your help.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.
You are quite welcome! Thanks for letting me know and please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. R.J.