Joe, RV Technician
Experience:  Associates Degree in Automotive Technology , 18+ years as RV and Commercial Bus Technician

Chevy: Pace Arrow..chassis..power steering..already replaced

I have a 1993 Pace Arrow (Chevy chassis, 454 engine) with power steering and power braking problems. The mechanic I'm working with has already replaced the hydraulic pump associated with providing power to the two systems, but the problem remains.

As of now, the symptoms are as follows:

- While in park, the vehicle has power to steering and brakes, but there is a loud whining noise when either is used.
- When the vehicle is in drive and in motion (even slightly), the power is completely lost to both steering and braking.
- The engine dumps power steering fluid when the engine is turned off, I suspect through an overflow?

Thus, while the vehicle can be driven, there is no power to steering and brakes, which makes it exceptionally difficult to control and bring to a stop.

The mechanic who is currently looking at this is baffled. He is most likely going to recommend replacing the booster system (another couple hundred bucks plus labor on top of the 800 I have already spent on this problem), but I have also heard that condensation (water in the lines) can be a factor in creating this type of problem.

Whatever the case, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Category: RV
Expert:  Joe replied 5 years ago.
Hello , my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist.

It is very important that all the air be bled from the hydroboost/auto park system.

There is a bleed plug that is often overlooked on this system.
It is located on the top of the park brake actuator cylinder....These systems can be tough to bleed , but one thing often overlooked is the small air bleed screw located on top of the actuator cylinder...Air can become trapped in the actuator cylinder , and continue to get circulated throughout the system
Below is a schematic of your hydraulic system:
There is also a multi-function valve that directs fluid pressure to and from the park brake actuator -depending on the shift lever position(HR-1 relay valve). If you are confident the air has been bled from the system, then you may have a defective HR-1 relay valve as shown below...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, Joe.

I have forwarded this information to my mechanic and I am hopeful it is the solution. He will be out this week and I will let you know what he finds, and assuming this is the correct solution, I will accept your answer at that time.

Many thanks again.

Expert:  Joe replied 5 years ago.
Ok , hope it goes well .

(You need not reply to this post)