Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977

1988 Ford: motor home with 460 that wont start..ignition switch

Hi There, We have a 1988 Ford E350 Motorhome with 460 that wont start. Power is not going from sending wire to cyleniod from ignition. The starter, ignition switch, starter cyleniod (sp?) have all been replaced. The transmission is newer. The last time it started we had to jiggle the steering column and it started but now it won't start at all. Any ideas on what is going? We are moving at the end of this week and need to take our motorhome with us! :S Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael hi, one of the typical problems, especially after a 'new ' install of the ignition switch is the plug as it connects under the dash comming from the steering column...........when you wiggle the column I am sure you are restoring the connection, and it is 'workie no workie' at this point..........go there unplug it, and inspect the plugs, and wirings therein, and see if you can get it to 'mate' properly, and if need by take a plastic wire tie, and secure it togeather so as not to loose its connection, try this and get back to me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Michael
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK we will try that. Thanks!
I'll be here when your ready or shortly thereafter...............Michael
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We ended up replacing the neutral safety switch & that fixed it. Thank you!