Nick
Nick, RVIA Certification
Experience:  5 years RV repair and reconstruction, Fleetwood RV Training course completion.
10390867

power has failed on our power awning, how do we manually retract it

Customer Question

The power has failed on our power awning, how do we manually retract it
Category: RV
Expert:  Nick replied 3 years ago.
is it a dometic power awning? and by power failed, does it just not work or have you confirmed no power to the motor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No power to the motor. Tried following the instructions to roll it up manually. It said to remove screw on the top right and it should roll in. But its not working. Exactly which screw do we take out?
Expert:  Nick replied 3 years ago.
it is in the very top of the motor housing. at the very tip of the arm. not the screw that secures the motor to the arm, it should be in the housing itself.
you can also manually retract it with a battery if you have a 12v battery. cordless drill battery can work or jumper cables from a car or rv battery. if you follow the wire from the motor, it should go to a small black connector. unplug this and then hook 12v + and - to each wire on the motor and you can run the motor. its a little tricky though as you have to be able to follow the motor all the way closed, on site this can be tricky.
I'm trying to find a good picture of the screw. i know the instructions are not very clear.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There are only two screws up there and we tried them both, neither has caused it to roll
Expert:  Nick replied 3 years ago.
hmmm.. that is unusual. usually it will want to drag you up with it as soon as you remove the screw.
can you turn the awning, by hand, once the screw is removed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no
Expert:  Nick replied 3 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  Nick replied 3 years ago.
if the awning wont even turn by hand with that screw removed, then only other thing you can do, is apply power directly to the motor. make sure screw is back in first. see if that will make the motor turn. it could be the motor itself has had an internal failure and something has jammed up.
those are the only 2 ways to retract the awning. the other end is under spring tension, if you remove the motor, it will fly up and probably damage the side of the coach.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help. We have found a repair guy to come and help us.
Expert:  Nick replied 3 years ago.
ok. good luck. let me know if need further assistance.