Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Faulty..seal between toilet and tank leaking

2007 3712 keystone raptor, black water tank will not drain, t/p plug? or faulty waste valve? seal between toilet and tank leaking. Have removed toilet. Floor plumbing flange bolts removed but flange plumbing does not extract from tank thru floor. Need construction details or sevice manuel to see how this is put together. Want to remove tank from rv and replace leaking seal but must drain tank first and can't. Can you help?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

There is no seal in the tank you have to remove the tank to get to. The pipes are glued into the tank. The only seal should be in the drain valve assy and between the flange and the toilet. The problem with being stopped up maybe a bad valve.........especially if it is a cable valve. If it is just some "crap" in the tank..........that can be dissolved with Happy Camper "Extreme Cleaner" which is a great product..........in fact all of their products are. Cheapest to use and best results and totally "green" so that is a plus! Go HERE for that site. They can tell you who in your area stocks their products or sell them to you direct. Please get back to me if you need more help with this. Followups are included in our fee. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
I am not sure what you think was lacking here..........but, I will opt out of this and let another tech offer something additional if they think I missed something. Not all of us work here every day so I don't have any idea how long it may be before someone responds. R.j.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
did you get my latest reply?
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Only that you wanted to "relist: incomplete answer" so it there was more than that I didn't get it. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
apparently my additional questions aren't getting thru. Let's try again. 1.) If it's the cable operated discharge valve as you suspect, and that does seem to be the case, I've watched the cable pull a slide shaft in and out of the valve body, why is it not opening? 2.) How do I remove and replace the cable valve with out getting a face full of shit, the tank is full with no other apparent way to drain it? 3.) Before coming to the conclussion that it was a faulty discharge valve I assumed a toilet paper clog and pressurized the tank with rinse waterto force the clog thru, only to over-flow the tank from somewhere above it between top of tank and under floor, where would that sewage be coming from?
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Check the cable and see if it is moving the rod OR if it has come loose. If it has come loose that can be fixed. If not, then the valve may be opening, but the "stuff" is clogging the outlet of the tank. There is a fix for that so get back to me if you are pretty sure the valve is open. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
as I said the cable is opperating the valve shaft but I can,t tell what is happening inside the valve body. You didn,t address ?# XXXXX&3. My problem may be bigger than this discharge valve. The tank may have to be removed if there is a break or something else leaking sewage from the top side of the tank. That may provoke even more questions.
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Lets get it drained and then worry about the overflow...........that may go away. You should be able to tell if the shaft pulled out of the blade as it will be so free as to not have any resistance. If you are not sure, the best way is to cut the end off and manually retract this.
That can be messy so you want to be sure first. I would exhaust all other solutions, including the Happy Camper first. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll give that a try. Then get back w/you.
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
O.K............there is a kit available for removing the damaged blade if you have to do this.
R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have removed the 4 - 1/4" bolts that secure the valve body between the plumbing flanges on either side of it and am letting the 60 gals of raw sewage drain on the ground below the RV this may take all night as it didn,t break completely free. This is a very poor design for changing out a faulty valve! May we resume this tomorrow? I'll replace this with a new valve, but I'm still concerned about the sewage leak above the tank and believe the whole tank may need to be removed to find it and fix it. What is it going to take to get that done? It seems the floor flange under the toilet will need to be cut free,(if it is glued to the tank)in order to drop the tank down and out, and then how to replace it all?
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
The first thing is to decide or figure out where it came from. Very few of these are installed with rubber doughnuts for a seal on the vent or the pipe from the toilet. I think I would get ahold of Keystone Customer Service and find out if they are glued in or use a gasket. If you are fortunate and they used a gasket then the leak was from too much pressure and so long as you don't do that again it would be fine. If you have to take the tank out with the pipes glued in you have to destroy it to do that. Then you can go to Sierra Engineering in California and get a good polypropylene tank to put back in and they are just about bullet proof. I have used their products for years with great success. R.J.
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience: RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can I log out and still get back on with you tommorrow?
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
I live in Florida and your response came back after I had signed off. Yes, you can come back to this any time by Bookmarking it or responding to this post. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You were a great help Randall. I finally got thru to a factory tech who helped me w/ how remove the tank. A septic pumper will come today to drain the tank. Then I'll be able to lower it out of there. My bank account shows that you have already received my payment, so I'll "ACCEPT" today anyway. Thanks again, Rick