Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977

3 way dometic Brand..rv is plugged into shore power..circuit

I have a 2000 Roadtrek 190 with a refrigerator problem. the ref we is a 3 way Dometic Brand. The Rv is plugged into shore power and when the Refer is turned on the house circuit breaker trips. The LP gas does not ignite so I don't know if it will run on gas. Nor does the refer work on the 12 volt setting. I managed to unplug the refer cord from the RV outlet and plug it into a 120v outlet and the refer still did not run but it did not trip the circuit breaker either.
The RV's air conditioner works on DC power and the gas stove, heater and water heater all function on gas.
Although I've driven the RV in the last two years I have not used the refer. But previous to that the refer worked great on all 3 systems.
Why is the house circuit breaker tripping and not the RV refer breaker? Will the refer run on the house current only? or does the current have to be feeding into the 12v system at the same time?
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael hi, lets take it a step at a time, first the breaker tripping when 110 v is used on the refer, we want to ck the electric element, you will find it in the stack above the burner, and it will have two wires on it, you also have a 12v element, the differance is the 12v element will have the ground wire plugged to it right at the element,,,,,,,,with your volt ohm meter, test the 110 element for ohms, and let me know what the value is........thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HI Mike,

The electric element is not easy to access unless I pull the refer out. It's very hard to put the meter probes on the wire connections and I'am not sure what connections to take the ohm reading from anyway.

I am thinking there must be a short in the wiring some where and I will have to pull the refer out and maybe remove some cabinets to see check the wires.
Hi, yes the installation on the Roadtrek is tight, and it may be better to remove the refer to get a good look at it....................there is the gas line, the 12v wiring, usually two screws lft and right on the bottom refer housint,,,,,,,the front has screws in the cabinet holding it to the sure to shut the gas off........thanks