Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977
10974363

should my power transformer be running, making noise, all the time?

Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael, hi if you could please give me the model and mfgr of the unit so I may be specific about your converter/inverter operation......thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The trailer is a Thor Tahoe Lighthauler. The transformer is a PD5110 Series Generator Transfer Relay Type1 by Progressive Dynamics. When I went out there to get the model number it was no longer making any noise? But it's been running for days?

With this information, are your referring to the noisey component as the transfer switch or the converter (110 - 12)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The noise is coming from this box...so I guess it's the transfer Relay that's making the noise not the converter.

What your hearing is ' sine wave chatter' and can indicate a poor grounding situation, dirty power input, of the realy beginning to fail..........What I would do is run the generator and see if it stops..........I realize it will be hard to hear.........make a stethoscope with a long screwdriver, wrap your hand around the handle, and place it to your ear, then touch the box, you will hear it if its there, this will ck for dirty power,,,,,,,the grounding you can ck by inspection..................