Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977
10974363

I need a wiring diagram for a RV Battery. My husband disconected

I need a wiring diagram for a RV Battery. My husband disconected old one, and now we dont know how to hook it back up. Like 6 wires in there. Can you help?

Carla
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael first of all how many batteries are there and what voltage are they 6volt or 12 volt?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Michael. There is only one 12 Volt battery. Like a Marine battery.

Carla

There is not going to be a diagram..........However we can figure this out......If you have a volt meter, put it on continuity, and test the wires against the chassis (ground) rule of thumb is green like the grass is ground, and white, unless someone has added something aftermarket to it......ck the wires for power comming thru such as a solar panel.........................Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know we dont have any after market add ons, no solar panel. Yes my husband has a volt meter, but not here currently. Can I get back to you tomorrow? I need to feed the family. Or will this conversation stay for awile in case you are off tomorrow?

Please advise. Thanks

absolutly, any time.........................Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I will buzz you in the morning with my voltage meter & laptop!carla

Thanks I'll talk to you then...........Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, Michael, finally got back online. My husband is here with his Voltage meter! Give me a buzz when you are ready.

Carla

Ready here....................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, headed outside right now.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We dont have a continue on this volt meter , or dont know.

set to ohms
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, done. Do you SKYPE?

no skype, and unfortunatly just answer requires me to communicate only here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok. Continue

Ok, I was rereading your question to get refamiliar, first have you hooked up the wires that you know leaving the questionable ones off?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, will hook up red, positive. then the green ground has 2 ends, coming off of a Plug in, like an extension cord.

Test the wires off of that plug A for power B for continuity to the chassis, I am leaning towards that is a feed to an aftermarket item using pos and neg........be nice to see where it goes................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Neither one registered at all. IDK what you mean by testing to chassis. We put the meter red on gr line & blk from meter to steel. is that what you meant. weknow not much! Sorry

you are doing fine place thoes two on the negative of the battery..........lets move on to the next one.............
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Set tester to how many ohms? had set to 2K ohms.

thats fine it will tell us if the wire has continuity to ground, thats what were looking for.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK cool.

Already Tried:
Undoing & re-doing hook up combinations. I know the Red is +, the black is -, then have a 2 ended green one, a white one & a bigger white one. All have So I'm looking at the wires you have...........red ok /done black of/done/ green double wire/ done so now the two white wires, do the test on them with the meter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok. put red, blk, done. attached one green to neg? Correct?./Done. Two white wires, afterall above hooked up both lines show nothing.0.

Hook the two white wirs to neg...........................Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It appears to have worked!!! do we need to hook up leftover green to red? or not at all?
now that green is in the 2 wire extension cord wire? I'm leading to the negative side, It would be nice to see where it runs to and what it powers. if its hooked to the neg side, it wont do any damage, if something isnt working, see what it is, and you should see thoes wires there to tell you which one is which, look under the hood for that wire, its 12 volts, and I wonder if maybe it ties into something there
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, the front elec jacks now work!!! but slide out & int lights dont work on battery. We have a 5th wheel, so have no hood, do you mean breaker box? Or, should we try hooking up 2nd green to positive side?

touch the wire to the positive terminal if there is no spark, hook it up....Do you have a battery shut off switch , make sure it is on........Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, No cut off switch. put the 2 nd grren to red, no spark, hooked up, no change. We got most of it right. I checked breakers, they are all on. I guess check fuses again would be next.
Yes go to the converter fuse panel, and see if it is energized and if there are fuses blown.....................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Michael, you have been great, very patient. I need about an hour and then will get back with you. Thank you...Carla

Thanks I'll be here.............Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Michael, in the ongoing saga. OK all breakers were good. All fuses looked good, but it sparked at me when I tried to put the fuse back into the green, ground slot. It blew the interior lights. We went to battery and took 2nd green off red side, still sparked, rehooked it to blk side, still sparked. breakers did Not go off. I will be off and on today, as I have other things going but will try to get this done soon! Thanks, Carla

lets go back to the batteries, and take off all but the positive and neg cable.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will do, I will let you know when we get that done.

and as you do this, replace the blown fuse, and as you reattatch the wires it will tell you which one it is, if this is the problem
can you please accept my help, and we will keep working on this.......thanks
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience: Serving the rv industry since 1977