Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

lights inside camper are not working. I have jump wire to check

Customer Question

lights inside camper are not working. I have jump wire to check lights and they work. glenn
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 5 years ago.

Hi There!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer...

Are you plugged into shore power or just running off of the battery?

Thanks, Robert

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Expert:  Robert replied 5 years ago.

When you plug in the converter makes the 12 volts, not the battery, when you unplug from shore power the battery makes the voltage, not the converter. The converter does the switching so it might be bad not allowing power to pass.

Only a few other components could be the cause. Verify you have a good shore power supply. Some converters plug into an outlet, make sure no GFIS are tripped. Some converters are part of the 12 volt fuse box and breaker panel, manually reset every breaker and test all the 12 volt fuses. Another component to look for is an auto breaker, these are normally located with in 18" of the battery and look like a small silver or gold box, verify that power is on both sides of that auto breaker.

Most fleetwoods do stick the converter under the fridge and are difficult to access. If everything else looks good I would suspect that converter needs to be replaced or at least have a shop check it out, it should take about 1/2 hour of labor time.

Hope this helps.

Also make sure you do not have a house dis-connect switch near the entry door, some do and some do not...

Thank You!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have checked auto breaker. I jump from power converter and lights worked.
Expert:  Robert replied 5 years ago.

Well if you jumped power going into the power converter and everything works and the auto breaker is good then you have a bad connection, or bad ground. IF you are jumping power coming out of the converter then the converter could still be bad. IF you know the make and model of the converter then I might be able to help you more.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yeah I just figured it out. battery was not grounded very well.