Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977
10974363

454 Chevrolet: 1988 southwind..starter tested..start engine..clicks

Customer Question

We have a 1988 Southwind with 454 Chevrolet engine. Battery was fully charged, starter tested but will not start engine. Starter clicks but that is all. Now the battery is dead. We tried to jump start with our pickup truck, now the battery is dead in it. There must be wiring draining the juice somehow?????????? We had a schematic but somehow lost the 2 pages we needed. I called FLEETWOOD and am waiting for someone to return the call. Can you offer any suggestions? Thank you, XXXXX
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 6 years ago.

Michael Reush :

Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael thats a p30 chassis go to the library, Motors Auto Repair Manual in that year has the diagram.......

JACUSTOMER-quxxfawk- :

Do you think it is the wiring that is the problem? Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-quxxfawk- :

The motor was new and has only about 1200 miles on it. My father-in-law drove it to Florida from NJ, and it hasn't worked since. My husband tried to start it a couple of weeks ago, and heard a clunk.??????????

Michael Reush :

It sounds as if it can be connections, once you get the battery back up fully charged, take your voltmeter to the starter, ck to see what voltage is there when someone else tries to crank it, that will tell the tale

Michael Reush :

first step is to get that battery fully charged before you try again

JACUSTOMER-quxxfawk- :

I don't know what the dealer did, but when we bought a new solenoid, it was for a 1978 starter.

Michael Reush :

That may be correct but we would have to see what the part number was of the new solenoid vs what it calls for....................the click is the solenoid trying to engage the starter, sounds as if its not turning

JACUSTOMER-quxxfawk- :

When we do this, is there a way to get back to you to complete this problem? The new solenoid is the only one that would match up with the starter. The one it called for did not match inside.

Michael Reush :

Thats interesting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,leave this window open on your computer, and or ck your email, there will be a link to get back to me,,,,,,,anytime is good day week month.................I will change format to QA ...............................

I am here when you are ready......Michael
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i can't get back into the system now; problem with pc

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I finally got my computer working. Now, how can I contact you after we do what you suggested? I really need to resolve this mess! Thank you for your help so far.

I'll be here.........Michael
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We will try after the battery is up again. I appreciate you sticking with me!

I'll be here or shortly thereafter....Michael