Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

Camper..flush wirer in aqua-magic IV foot pedal flush: model #AM..lift

Customer Question

I have a broken cable for camper flushing toilet. Could you explain procedure for replacing flush wirer in aqua-magic IV foot pedal flush: model #AM-IV(or U)-H1, part #24820, code 950510: number off toilet. I have removed screws on base of bowl but haven't been able to lift off. Also trying to remove mechanison cover but couldn't.XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

This job is just a real challenge............and frankly, most people give up on it and buy a new hand flush model. This was a poor design and perhaps was one reason they quit making it. You have to first take the toilet off the mounting. Then you have to take the screws out all the way around which it sounds like you have done. The hard part is getting the parts apart without ruining them............these are "glued" with a liquid sealer that is hard to get loose. If you do and can get it cleaned off............then you have to reseal it again when you get the new cable in. The problem is to keep it from leaking. Most shops won't work on them for this reason. The labor involved is greater than the cost of a new toilet. Go HERE for a copy of the exploded view of this. I hope you are a patient person..........as this will really test your patience. My advice is to scrap this and get a new hand flush Aqua Magic V unit...........but, get back to me if you need more on this as you go along. Follow up questions are included in our fee. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Due to your answer we have decided not to fix the old toilet and get a new one. We will be camping for about a week before dealing with putting in a new one: maybe longer depending on when we get the new one. If we accept your answer now will we be able to asked more question for free when installing the new toilet?
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
That is fine.............all follow up questions are included in our fee. Just Bookmark this and you can come back to it. I really think this will be the best bet. Shop around on the new one as the price will vary. Easy to install..............but, come back and I will help you. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I was out all day today. R.j.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We are back from camping and decided to work on old toilet. I used a piece of cable and bronzed two round knobs on the end. I have it ready to go back together. When I took it apart two springs fell out. I didn't see where they came from but assume they both came from blade. Could you inform me of their location. Thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
There are several in there...........I suspect those may be for the pedal assy. There is a spring on the bowl valve that pulls it closed as well. Hard for me to see what you have from here. I don't think the exploded view has much either. Perhaps Thetford has more and let me check on that. It will be Monday before I can get back to you. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The two springs that popped loose when I took the toilet apart I believe go: one at the bottom of actuator assembly and the other between actuator assembly arm and blade. Please confirm.
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
I cannot find any manual on this toilet that would help me and I would have to have one like it so I could look at it. Sorry I can't give you more .............I don't rebuild those for the reasons I gave you and not many techs will due to the bad design and cost for the customer. You might give Thetford a call and see if they can help you with this. Nothing on the website helps. R.J.