Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977
10974363

Our 2009 Winnebago slide out wont work.

Customer Question

Our 2009 Winnebago slide out won't work. We just had a new chassis battery installed, the Winter killed the old one. The slide out indicator light by the key is also not coming on. I'm thinking a breaker or switch needs to be reset?

It is stuck in the closed position, and this is the first we tried to use it after Winter storage.  My wife said she looked at the breaker switches, but thinks they are all in their correct positions.  Fuse?

Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 3 years ago.

Michael Reush :

Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael

Michael Reush :

Hi please give me the model number of the Winne so I can access the proper electrical schematic Thanks

Customer:

let me call the wife...i do know from memory, something like 29-T? not sure though

Michael Reush :

Thanks I'll get started..................And I'll see if there is a 29t

Customer:

2009 29 TR

Customer:

she did the regular things, like have the parking brake on, and motor off while she tried

Michael Reush :

Thanks..................I'm working for you even as we speak.........Michael

Customer:

have her on the phone while we chat

Michael Reush :

A winnebego what do they call it/ EX adventurer,Journey, ect

Customer:

chalet

Customer:

only the one slide out

Michael Reush :

This is nuts, I dont see the chalet year before or after, I'm going to send you my link, you take a look and see if you can find your model..............Click here let me know if you have any problem with the website......please get back to me.....

Customer:

ok, my wife looked at the book she has and it says in there, ACCESS so it must be WF229TR

Customer:

on the schematics it has that number without the 'R', so that must be it?

Customer:

you see it?

Michael Reush :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX going nuts I see it, let me research then I'll get back to you...hang in there........Michael yes I see it

Michael Reush :

I wanted to let you know I'm working on it these schematics take a while to absorb, and I'm viewing them on my screen, my printer is out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks

Customer:

time for a new hp officejet pro 8500A Premium copier/scanner/printer/emailer .......LOL Like i have here in the office. Great printer.

Michael Reush :

That hurts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, I've found one of the wiring diagrams, do you want to see it or do you want me to talk about it so you can relay the info????????????????

Customer:

wouldn't know what i was looking at, but i will if i need to...she is still on the phone

Michael Reush :

No this will help you more if I talk you through I dont know about you my old eyes are getting bad so its tough

Michael Reush :

Ok, were going to go through it as if you know nothing.....................

Customer:

IC, she is saying, if the green light will flash error code, system malfunction....but no light at all currently

Michael Reush :

First emergancy brake has to be on...............(it has a lock out) , then the key to the slide must be on

Customer:

yes, and the brake is on\

Customer:

and the key is in the correct position

Michael Reush :

Good we'll go from there

Customer:

the two indicator lights are not energezied by the the key

Michael Reush :

Do you know where the slide out module is located?

Customer:

red and green light by the key ....neither indicating

Michael Reush :

thats good info

Customer:

no, neither of us know

Customer:

are you meaning the manual crank spot?

Michael Reush :

ok thats my quest right now , bear with me..........No not the crank, but the relay system connected to the slide out that send power to the slide, it has a fuse on it.................

Customer:

IC

Michael Reush :

Took me a minute to figure out the IC part..............................

Customer:

she does know where the circuit breaker is, it says , slide out power, it is a 'circle' with the number 40 on it...no switch

Customer:

sorry

Michael Reush :

Ok,,,,,,,,thats good,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm looking again thru the schematice for location, different blueprint

Customer:

the 'circle' looks like a button but she says it isn't

Customer:

access door she found that says, automotive and coach circuit breakers, battery mode, solenoid and relays

Customer:

behind that door and there looks like little buttons, but their not buttons.....

Michael Reush :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX working, comming back you before I go to the next one............Lots of good stuff, just not what we need Where is the switch located is it

Customer:

the key switch?

Michael Reush :

by the dinette, the buttons and the key switch

Michael Reush :

Thats a question

Customer:

key switch is next to the bathroom

Customer:

the relays or on the exterior in a compartment by the passenger door , on the opposite side of the slider

Customer:

the key switch is about 5' high

Michael Reush :

It goes right from the switch to the module,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and ofcoarse they show it right next to it, but thats not true....It IS going to be close That may be its location I will get a photo of it it will help

Customer:

photo would be good, and this is to point us to the fuse?

Customer:

she found a series of fuses under the refrigerator, but none have a slide out label

Michael Reush :

I'm looking now my computer is.....................well you know

Customer:

I understand

Michael Reush :

Full Size Image

Michael Reush :

Finally,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Customer:

emailing her the pict to her phone

Michael Reush :

Look in the base of the galley cabinet

Customer:

ok sent it to her

Customer:

she found where the automotive and coach circuit breakers and they are exterior

Customer:

had to disconnect so she could look at the pict on her phone...so she will call back after viewing the pict....

Michael Reush :

The schematic has come to a dead end as far as location.........So were on our own,,,,,,,,,,,,the detail tells me to refer to manufacturers wiring diagram...............That means were done that way,,,,,,,,,,we just need to find it.......I'm going to ck another avenue.............

Customer:

the automotive and coach circuit breaker had one labeled slide out ram, but it was the thing with a circle and the number 40 in the circle. She said it is not a button or doesn't appear to be something she can remove....i'm wondering if the fuse is not underneath that and its a cover she is looking at?

Customer:

ok

Michael Reush :

No thoes are push button circuit breakers, if they fail they pop out, then you reset................ Tell her she's doing a great job

Customer:

will do and thanks.....good to know

Michael Reush :

I'm searching the manufacturer of the slide,,,,,,,click here ck this link see if the buttons look like yours, I know we dont have a model number on the slide out, I know its a powergear, well find it

Customer:

clicking

Customer:

the plate picture looks familiar,

Michael Reush :

Make sure the batteries are up, I should have said that first!!!!!!!!!!!!!! run the generator if you can,

Michael Reush :

Good with the picture, does your wallplate say powergear or nothing, winne uses their own stuff, very sheik

Michael Reush :

If necessary at this point go to page 6 of the last bit of literature and see the override procedure,

Customer:

ok will do

Customer:

my wife says that the name on the slide out 'in and out' plate says 'Quickie' and not power gear

Michael Reush :

The diagram is 08 and yours is an 09, so I'm 95% sure thats it......................At this point I can do no more,,,,,,,,,,You will need to view the manual, and read from it to her......................I have enjoyed working with you,,,,,,,,,,,,feel bad cant see it through. although I'll still be here if you have any questions about anything you are reading...................Kwikee bought Powergear so thats the right one.......................

Customer:

got it about the kwickie

Customer:

and reading the manual and all, and not having any indicator lights or error codes, all power loss more than likely

Customer:

fuse somewhere may be the problem, either case it may have to be re-programed

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

got to go hit the bathroom myself...and her phone is dying of power, she is out in the boonies next to a lake

Customer:

but the slide is in so that makes it all ok

Customer:

i have the link to the manual and we will study

Michael Reush :

Excellent.......let me know how you do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I've got to eat my mind is swimming............Thanks,,,,,Michael

Alright fed, and up for the game again, how are you doing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mr. Reush, i've not yet been home to look at the MH and the slide. The slide still will not work and is still in the 'in' position. My wife and I went to TX for a vacation and i'm back to work now and won't be able to deal with the problem again until the earliest, June 23rd. I did make an appointment with a dealership in Anchorage in case I cannot get it to work myself. So, I still may need your help.

Thanks

Thank you for responding, I will be here should you need my help.........Michael, use this link of a link from your email to contact me...........Michael
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience: Serving the rv industry since 1977
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Michael, during my off time (two weeks), to be exact, June 27th, I took the motor home to the dealer and got with their mechanic. The slide out was not the problem and it was doing just what it was supposed to do which was nothing when it did not have enough power. Let me explain. This is the first motor home that my wife and I have had that has a slide out. Yes, we've had a fifth wheel with slides before and the procedure there would be to run the generator or be hooked into shore power and activate the slide (best way), or the slide would just work using the batteries coach batteries. Evidently with the motorhome, the slide out is powered ONLY by the chasis battery or from the engine power and not the generator or the coach batteries as the fifth wheel was.

So, of course the slide out is not going to work when the chasis battery is shot. The RV mechanic also told me that it was best to be running the engine when you activate the slide. I am not sure if I knew that before and when you receive a turnover while buying something you are told so many things in such a short time, its very possible we were told this information.

So, since we had an appointment to get the slide out checked at the dealer already on the calendar, (before I had the new battery installed), I didn't bother to check the slide after having the new battery installed for the chasis. If I had, I would have probably seen that it worked. The mechanic did say that there has been previous problems with the type of slide out module that my motor home had installed, and he did replace it with a newer one. Hopefully, a better one. Of course he did charge me for that item and labor.

I'm now accepting your answer since the problem is now solved.