Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

I have a 4.0 KW Onan KY generator that..gas tank..fuel pump..fuel line

I have a 4.0 KW Onan KY generator that won't pump fuel from the gas tank that is full but will start and run very well from an elevated gas can. After 2 minutes of the fuel pump not starting to work I turned off the generator. I know I still need to prove the fuel line is not blocked before replacing the fuel pump but my question is, Is it relatively easy to get in there and replace the fuel pump or is the offer I got from a company nearby for $99.00 plus parts a good deal compared to the work involved in doing it myself?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

You can take the line off the carb and watch for the fuel...........and if you haven't replaced the fuel filter recently that might be a good idea. If you don't have some decent flow when cranking it after you change the filter I would spend the $99 and let them do it for you. That is a fair price. You can also have them show you some stuff while they are there.

If you don't have a manual for this unit go HERE for a copy. I would print this out or at least Bookmark it so you can come back to it in the future.

Please get back to me if you need more help with this. Follow up questions are included in our fee which is paid from your deposit upon acceptance of an answer. R.J.
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience: RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not sure what the most effecient least amount of work to get to the fuel filter would be not having ever attempted to open the generator beyond what I have already described. Is ther an easy way to get in there and replace the fuel filter?
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
It is right there in front of you next to the carb when you take the inspection cover off. Right near the dipstick...........I think the manual shows it. R.J.
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
I am reminded that this fuel filter would be the secondary filter which most have but not all.
The primary filter is part of the fuel pump. Hope that helps...........R.J.