Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I RECENTLY BOUGHT A 2001 FLEETWOOD DISCOVERY 36T (VIN 770T14479451)

Customer Question

I RECENTLY BOUGHT A 2001 FLEETWOOD DISCOVERY 36T (VIN 770T14479451) AND I AM HAVING TROUBLE FINDING THE WIRING HARNESS FOR THE BRAKE CONTROLLER UNDER THE DASH. I HAVE TALKED WITH FOUR DIFFERENT PEOPLE AT FLEETWOOD AND GOT FOUR DIFFERENT ANSWERS. I FOUND A GRAY SIX PIN PLUG WITH A RED, BLACK, BLUE AND A WHITE ATTACHED TO THIS PLUG UNDER THE DASH JUST ABOVE THE BRAKE PEDAL. I WAS TOLD THIS COULD BE A DIOGANOSTIC PLUG. IS THIS MY CONNECTION AND IF SO WHERE DO I PURCHASE THE FEMALE PLUG FOR THIS CONNECTOR? I ALSO FOUND A RED AND BLACK WIRE AT THE ELECTRICAL PLUG LOCATED BY THE HITCH. THEY WERE NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING.
I WOULD SURE APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.

MARK
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

That plug is the one............with the red, black, blue, and white. Red is usually the hot feed off the brake, black is the 12 VDC feed, white is the ground and blue is the feed to the rear. I believe most of these are a Ford plug which you can get at any RV store. If you decide to get a Drawtite or Reese controller they match on the colors. Take a 12 VDC test lead to be sure you have the 12 VDC feed and the brake feed correct. If the red is the brake feed it will only be hot when you push the brake. Some coaches have to have a fuse or relay installed to make the hot feed "hot" ..............and your owner's manual should show you that. At the rear of the coach if the 7 way plug isn't already there you are looking for a blue wire which will be the brake feed.

Please get back to me if you need more help on this. Follow up questions are included in our fee which is paid from your deposit upon acceptance of an answer. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

RANDALL

I JUST FOUND TWO 18-20 GA. WIRES (RED AND BLUE) AT THE HITCH. I ALSO HAVE TWO 12 GA. WIRES (RED AND BLACK) AT THE HITCH. I ASSUME THIS IS THE BLUE WIRE YOU ARE REFERRING TO. ALSO UNDER THE DASH THE RED WIRE IS HOT ONLY WHEN I ACTIVATE THE IGNITION SWITCH. ALSO I'M NOT EXACTLY SURE WHAT A 12VDC IS.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR EXPERTISE.

MARK

Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Well, Mark............those 18-20 GA. wires are too small for a brake controller. The red and black sound about right for size. Under the dash, if the red is hot only on turning on the key then that must be the hot feed to power the controller. Check the black for power when you activate the brake pedal. White is almost always ground. Either red or black can be used at positive..........and "12 VDC" is 12 volts direct current. Sorry about that. We sometimes just assume the customer knows all this stuff. The plug I believe is a Ford plug as I think that is what Freightliner uses. If you look at the three...........Ford, GM, and Dodge at the parts house you should be able to pick out the right one as they are all different sizes and have a different outer shape. This may be wired up to use a UniBrake set up.............go HERE for that discussion. This uses a signal to go back to the toad.

I would be interested in what Fleetwood and Freighliner told you if they disagreed with one another.............kind of strange. Get back to me if you need more on this. R.J.

Edited by RANDALL on 1/28/2011 at 5:33 PM EST
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience: RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

RANDALL,

FLEETWOOD GAVE ME THREE ANSWERS; A SINGLE BLUE WIRE UNDER THE DASH, I WOULD NEED TO RUN ADDITIONAL WIRES AND CALL FREIGHTLINER AND LOOK FOR TWO RED WIRES UNDER THE DASH. FREIGHTLINER TOLD ME TO TAKE ANY THING FLEETWOOD SAID WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. HE ALSO SAID THAT THE GRAY PLUG WAS A TEST PLUG AND FREIGHTLINER AND FLEETWOOD DID NOT START WIRING MOTORHOMES FOR BRAKE CONTROLLERS UNTIL 2004.

I SURE DO APPRECIATE YOUR EXPERTISE.

MARK

Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
They may both be correct................I do think it was about 2004 when they all had a plug.
I do think some had one prior though. If you don't get a signal off one lead on that plug it may not be what you need. Worst case you can wire this up yourself. Let me know if you need to do that and I can guide you through that part as well. This would be included in this question. R.J.
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the positive Feedback comment.........much appreciated! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. You can always ask for me by name. Most of the time I can give you a quick answer and save you a bunch of $$$ besides. Get back to me if you need more help on this........... R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

RANDALL,

I HAVE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT MY MIOTORHOME IS NOT WIRED FOR TRAILER BRAKES. DOES YOUR OFFER TO STAND TO TELL ME HOW TO WIRE IT ?

THANKS

MARK

Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Absolutely.............that is part of the question. Are you going to use a standard brake controller and did you buy it yet? Let me know and we can go from there. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

YES. I WILL BE USING A STANDARD BRAKE CONTROLLER. I HAVE LOOKED AT THE HAYES CONTROLLER BUT HAVE NOT PURCHASED IT YET.

MARK

Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
I would get a Drawtite or Reese or Tekonsha. Don't scrimp here. You will need that and some 12 GA double cable that is sheathed. This is available at most RV shops or automotive stores. It has a gray sheath around the two wires so you can be sure it won't be damaged. It has blue and black as a rule but the colors aren't important. You need enough to get from the plug in the rear all the way under the coach and up to the controller. Buy extra! Wire is the cheapest part of this. You need a 30 amp and an 20 amp auto reset breaker. Go HERE to see what those look like. Or you can use a blade fuse and holder. Either is fine. You need some single cable in red or black or you can use some of the sheathed cable. You need to get from a good 12 VDC source to the controller and then from the batteries to the other lead in the sheathed cable. One is for the brake and one is for the charge line which keeps the batteries charged in the toad. Some 1/4" loom wrap for any single lead cable and a bunch of zip ties that are substantial. Not the biggest and not too flimsy. You have to zip tie the cable up about every 2 feet. Get that and we can go from there. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

MY CAR TRAILEER ONLY HAS A BREAKAWAY BATTERY SO I SHOULDN'T NEED THE LINE FROM THE BATTERIES TO THE TRAILER. I ALSO HAVE A GOOD 12 VDC CONNECTION UNDER THE DASH FOR THE FEED. SO IF I UNDERSTAND YOU CORRECTLY I SHOULD ONLY NEED TWO WIRES FROM THE FRONT OF THE COACH TO THE REAR. I PLAN TO DO SOME SHOPPING TOMORROW.

MARK

Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
That is correct..........and it needs to be a source that will handle at least 20 amps. If you don't want to install a charge line to the plug you can just get a single strand of 12 GA wire and use loom wrap to cover it. You will need enough wire to feed to the controller off your 12 VDC source and most times the controller has enough wire to get to the cold side of the stoplight switch. The 4th wire is a ground you can just put a ring terminal on and hook it to a good metal spot under the dash. Get back to me when you are ready to go further. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

RANDALL,

I RAN THE 12 GA. WIRE IN LOOM WRAP FROM THE FRONT TO THE REAR OF THE MOTORHOME AND DRILLED THROUGH THE DASH. I ALSO ORDERED THE DRAWTITE 20189 POD TIME ACTUATED CONTROLLER AS YOU RECOMMENDED. I WAS UNABLE TO PURCHASE IT HERE IN YUMA. IT SHOULD BE HERE TOMORROW. I AM STILL LOOKING FOR THE STOPLIGHT SWITCH. I HAVE REPLACED SEVERAL BUT NEVER FOR AIR BRAKES. I NEED TO GO UNDER THE UNIT AGAIN MAYBE.

I ALSO HVE ANOTHER QUESTION UNRELATED BUT WASN'T SURE HOW TO REQUEST YOU WHEN I GO TO "JUST ANSWER RV".

MARK

Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Not a problem, Mark..........We can handle it right here...........what is the question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

RANDALL,

THIS QUESTION RELATES TO MY AIR BRAKES.RECENTLY THE BUZZER WENT OFF INDICATING LOW AIR PRESSURE. THE FIRST TIME IT HAPPENED IT WAS THE FRONT BRAKES. THE NEEDLE WOULD BOUNCE AND THE BUZZER WOULD SOUND. THE GAUGE WOULD BOUNCE FROM 0-125 PSI. SECONDS LATER THE FRONT GAUGE WOULD SETTLE AND THE REAR GAUGE WOULD DO THE SAME AND THE BUZZER WOULD SOUND. I NATURALLY STOPPED THE COACH AND PUMPED THE BRAKES, CRAWLED UNDERNEATH AND PULLED THE THREE AIR BLEEDER VALVES BUT AFTER A FEW MINUTES IT STARTED ALL OVER AGIAN. JUST RECENTLY WE HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE BUT THE REAR AIR GAUGE WAS THE ONLY CULPRIT. I AM AS PUZZLED AS MANY OF MY FRIENDS. PLEASE "HELP".

P.S. THIS IS ON MY 2001 FLEETWOOD DISCOVERY DIESEL PUSHER.

MARK

Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
That is an area I have very limited knowledge...............our shop did no work on brakes or drive systems. We have a tech on site who is very good at those kind of questions and so you should ask that as a new post...............sorry I couldn't help you there. R.J.

Edited by RANDALL on 2/4/2011 at 3:02 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

RANDALL,

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP. I FINALLY GOT TIME TO FINISH INSTALLING THE BRAKE CONTROLLER. AND IT WORKS VERY WELL. I AM CONSIDERING SIGNING UP FOR "JUST ANSWER" AFTER WORKING WITH YOU THESE PAST FEW DAYS. THANKYOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND EXPERTISE.

MARK

Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
That's great, Mark..............glad you got it wired up. What category would you be signing up for? They keep adding categories all the time.............R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

RANDALL,

RV FOR NOW SINCE WE ARE LIVING IN IT AND PLAN TO RETURN TO PENNSYLVANIA SOMETIME IN APRIL. I'M SURE I WILL HAVE MORE QUESTIONS IN THE FUTURE.

THANKS AGAIN!

MARK

Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Good luck...............and come back if you need help again. R.J.