gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

Water heater model Atwood MPD 93756 G6A

Customer Question

Water heater lights and goes out after 4 seconds. Igniter Keeps sparking entire time. water heater model Atwood MPD 93756 G6A-8E. Have tried cleaning igniter, adjusting air (sliding metal sleeve) and cleaning jet orifice.
Category: RV
Expert:  gene replied 3 years ago.
Here is a manual on the unit,first thing to check is the gas pressure,light all the burners on the stove top,turn on the water heater,watch the flame on the burners,if they fade down to nothing when the water heater lights you have a regulator problem,if they stay high and normal it should be ok.The only other thing it can be will be the igniter or the board,be sure the igniter is in the flame when it lights,you can pull the board and have it tested at any RV shop,we do it all the time at no charge,if it tests bad replace it,if it tests good, it has to be the igniter,replace it.Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
did you get my post that the furnace and water heater on the driver side are both snapping off after 4 seconds? the furnace on the other side is working fine and when I turn on all and burners flames aren't affected. Does this eliminate the regulator? What else can I try?
Expert:  gene replied 3 years ago.
Are these appliances in a slide out?If the other furnace is working ok,there is a problem in the lp pressure on the drivers side,the reason I asked about the slide is I have seen appliances installed in the slide and when the slide is ran out the rubber line will get kinked and cause the appliances to not work,lp pressure gets cut off.There is a test port on the water heater gas valve where a lp pressure guage can be connected,with a manometer you can hook it here to see what is going on,loosing gas pressure or not,you can also check the line going to that side to see if it is damaged?

Edited by gene on 1/27/2011 at 12:38 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks but I ran out of time and had to call a mobile RV repairman. It was just bad gas in the line, cleared it out by turning it off&on 20 times.
Expert:  gene replied 3 years ago.
ok

Edited by gene on 1/28/2011 at 1:50 PM EST