Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

2006 Forest: motor home..using the Arctic Pack for the freezing nights

I have a 2006 Forest River motorhome. I have been using the Arctic Pack for the freezing nights in Arizona. Everything was working perfectly until I turned off the switch and then turned it on again. The red light indicator is not lighting up. The Arctic Pack seems to still be working as the water tank has not frozen up. I have checked the fuse and it appears fine. Do I need to check something on the switch panel? How can I confirm the Arctic Pack is functioning even if the light is not on? Thanks, Ted
Hi: Ted............Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

This will take a 12 VDC test light or a multimeter. If you don't have one they can be purchased at most automotive or hardware stores for about $20 to $40 for the both of them. These are you best friends when testing any kind of RV electrical circuits. They come with instructions and are easy to use. Get back to me when you are ready to proceed. R.J.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just opened the pack of an Amprobe DM7C Compact Digital Multimeter that I bought last summer, but have never used. Says it checks voltage, current and resistance. Ready to proceed. Ted

O.K..............that should have some instructions in there that tell you how to put the probes into which hook-up. The red is going to be positive and the black the negative or "common" on most meters. Set the dial to "DC" current closest to 12...........some have 20 as a set point. I doubt this is auto ranging.......but, great if it is. Two ways to do this. One is to check for the voltage going through the switch with it on DC volts. The other is to hook up the meter for an amperage reading and see how many amps it is registering if any. I would do the DC volts first. Realize that these heating pads are controlled by a thermostat and won't come on unless it gets to about 40 degrees in most cases. If this is the style that has the light inside the switch it may be just that is bad and a new switch will fix you up. You will need one side (the black probe) grounded to a good ground and you may need to hook up a longer wire with some alligator clips on each end to do that. You can get a good ground in the electrical control panel from any metal in there that is part of the housing. With the black probe grounded you want to see about 12.8 VDC on the meter on the power into the switch and then out again. These are made different ways so you may have to test more than one wire. If you give me the colors you find in there I can tell you what they should be. The switch may control more than one heater.
Be sure that there wasn't more than one fuse. You will have to pull the plate loose that holds the switch to access the terminals. You should be able to get to the wiring without taking them loose or just pull them partially off. Let me know what you find. R.J.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Randall. When I took the plate off the switch panel to test the current, the red switch light for the Arctic Pack came back on. Appears it was a loose wire. I have "Accepted" your answer and I appreciate you help. Ted
Always good when the "fix" is that easy..............glad we could help out. Please keep us in mind if you have a problem down the road. We can usually get right back to you with a repair suggestion and help with a manual and step by step instruction. This can save you a bunch of time and $$$. R.J.
Thanks for the positive Feedback comment.........much appreciated! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. You can always ask for me by name. Most of the time I can give you a quick answer and save you a bunch of $$$ besides. R.J.