Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

Montana: wiring diagram..5th wheel..AC everything works great

Customer Question

I would like a wiring diagram for my 2004 keystone montana 5th wheel, model 3685fl. When pluged into AC everything works great. With no ac power nothing works. I have checked battery voltage and have a good 12 volts. Took connections off battery and cleaned them, still nothing works. Have looked at he circuit breaker box but found no 12 volt shut off switch, just dc fuses and ac breakers. I don't know how to proceed from here.
HELP!
Dave Regener
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Hi: Dave............Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Check the resettable breakers near the batteries to see if one may be tripped. Go HERE to see what they look like. Notice the gray one with the black reset button on it. Push that in to reset. If you have a multimeter you can run this down pretty quickly. If you don't have one they can be purchased at most automotive or hardware stores for about $15 to $35 for a digital readout version. They come with instructions and are easy to use. The other possibility is the converter itself. Sometimes the internal relay gets "stuck" in one position and won't allow the 12 VDC to be transferred over to the batteries when the shore power is disconnected. Again, your meter can be used to check this.

Any coach diagrams would have to come from Keystone..............Go HERE for that link and see the Manual download.

Get back to me if you need help with the converter testing if the breakers test out fine. Multiple responses are fine and expected and included in our fee which is paid from your deposit upon acceptance of my answer. Follow up questions are included as well. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

R.J.

1) I have no resettable breakers with a black reset button. Now what?

2) Where would the converter be located? Behind the fuse box or someplace else?

3) How do I get back to you if I shut down this site

Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
On some models they are auto-reset like the others. A meter can tell you if the power is coming through to the battery by measuring the voltage with the shore cord plugged in. You should read about 13.7 VDC at the batteries within a tenth or two. If you don't, then you want to go back to the converter which will be either an integral part of the power center where all the breakers and fuses are or a "stand alone" unit which plugs into a 120 VAC outlet and then is hooked into the fuse block. If you give me the make and model of your power center I can tell you. Most of this era were made by Magnetek or WFCO and that would be on the inside cover. Model number helps as well so I can grab a manual for you. If you don't get the 13.7 or so at the batteries then go back to the battery leads which will be the heavier red and white leads on the fuse block and see what you have there. Then disconnect the power and take another reading at the fuses. If no power then the converter may be defective. Get back to me and let me know what you find. If you Bookmark this you can return to it at any time.......... R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Randall,

I tried to put the front jacks up and down and they work fine without AC. If I did this right I use a 12volt light and checked from ground to each side of the breakers and the light turned on with out being hooked up to AC . I looked at the fuse box inside the trailer and found it is an American Express ETV Model CS6000SL, 120/240vac 50-60hz 50amp.

Would I have to pull this out of the wall or would a breaker be someplace else? I have thought about hooking up to the truck but don't know what this would do.

Is everything done over the internet or do you sometimes talk over the phone?

Happy Thanksgiving

Dave

Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, Dave..............this is the only format we can use as per site rules. It does make it a little harder sometimes. That would work as a test............just like a test light. You don't have to pull the unit out. That relay is incorporated into the converter and isn't a separate part. The test there is to use the test light at the fuses where the wiring to each circuit hooks up with power on and then with the shore cord off. If the converter isn't switching over you won't get power out of the fuses with the power off. Just be sure you checked all the resettable breakers near the batteries as there are usually two or three. You don't want to miss the one to the converter. Another way to check this is to take a test at the battery cables as they come into the converter. Go HERE to view your unit. Notice the two reverse polarity fuses shown in the photo. Be sure those are good. The battery feeds aren't quite as accessible as some so you may have to use the fuses on the supply side to test the power from the battery. A test light is about $5 and a great tool for this sort of thing. Let me know what you find. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Randall

Thanks for the picture of the converter. Could you either show me or tell me two things. Where would the 12 volts coming from the battery be located in the picture. Where the resettable breaker be located in or on the converter be located.

I was able to talk to the former owner who indicated that the trailer was always parked at a campground and connected to AC. Prior to him trading in the trailer he replaced the battery, have the receipt, shows he purchased the battery on 10/10/10.

I have used a test light on the three non-resettable breakers near the battery and they check out ok. The picture of the converter says the the two 30amp fuses should be in place. I only have one but do not have any fuses in the right bank of the 12 volt fuse panel. Do you think this would matter?

Dave Regener

Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
I don't recall which lead it is.............it will be one of those heavy leads you see hooked to the face above the fuses or below them. You can also take a reading out of the supply side of the fuses. Most converters need both fuses, but if this has been working fine without the second one this may only be fused on the positive side. This isn't as widely used converter as some of the others. You should have at least two batteries in this coach. One isn't going to do a good job for you. Some dealers are too cheap to do this correctly. You can use two 27 series 12 VDC units............24 series in pinch, or two 6 VDC batteries hooked in series which is the positive of one to the negative of the other to make one 12 VDC "unit" and gives the most amperage...........very handy in dry camping situations, especially with a few solar panels to keep them charged. Let me know what you find. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Randall,

You indicated converter resettable breakers at the converter. Where would these resettable breaker be located in or on the converter?

Dave

Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Perhaps that wasn't clear............the "resettable breakers" are at the battery. The one inside the converter isn't resettable...............it is integral with the converter. When it goes bad the converter won't go from shore cord mode to the battery only mode and the charging portion has to be replaced. Although I have not seen this part separately on this model. WFCO is a much more widely used brand on these and they have one. See what the output is at the fuses with and without the shore cord. That will tell you what needs to be done. R.J.
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience: RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Randall,

After a number of checks on 12 volts at the charger i went ahead and replaced all of the 15amp and the two 30amp fuses. Not sure what the problem was but the interior lights now work.

Thanks,

Dave Regener

Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Good............what voltage did you find when you took a reading at the fuses? That would tell you how good the charging section is. And it sounds like it needed both the 30 amp fuses in there..........or maybe one was bad. In any event, glad you got it worked out. R.J.
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
If you still need help on this come back to this post.............follow up questions are included in our fee. Thanks for the positive Feedback comment.........much appreciated! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. You can always ask for me by name. Most of the time I can give you a quick answer and save you a bunch of $$$ besides. R.J.