Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

Dutchman camper slide out will not slide move

Camper slide out will not slide move
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Do you hear the motor or not? I need to know who made this slide hardware so I can pull the correct manual. You should have an instruction manual that came with the camper. Once I have that I can assist you in tracking down the issue..........R.J.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The motor says Accuslide. When we tried to close the slide out it stopped after sliding in about 8-10 inches. We tried sliding it back out but now it won't slide out all the way either. I took off the access panels and it looks like all the cables are in the pulleys, but I did notice the chain around the gear at bottom of the motor is loose. I took pics of the system if that will help I can upload them. Any help you could offer would be great because the camper is still at camp 60 miles away.
This is made by BAL Manufacturing...........and you can go HERE to see the manual retract diagram. This uses a drill to turn the motor. And go HERE for the website which has a number of things that may be helpful including a guide on the cable routing. It sounds like an electrical issue from a low battery. It is always best not to move the room unless you have the shore cord plugged in whenever possible. Low battery voltage leads to higher amperage and this can burn a fuse or trip a resettable breaker. I suspect this is your problem and not actually something with the slide. Go HERE to see what the breakers look like. Notice the gray one with the button on the side. This needs to be pushed in to reset. My code these are to be within 18"" of the battery. You may also find one or a fuse near the motor itself. Every manufacturer does them a little differently. Get back to me once you go out there if you need to. Either have a battery or be ready to charge yours up. Print out anything on the website you need or from this post. Get back to me if you need more help with time limit here. R.J.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The battery has been low but we were running the generator when we tried to slide in. Do all the motors have a manual override? The pic I took doesn't show the entire motor, just the gear mounted on bottom the operates the chain, but I dont remember seeing a bolt.
I believe they do on theirs..............but, if you get the battery issue resolved you shouldn't need to do that. If you only have one battery and it is low it takes a few hours to bring it up to full charge. You might check the battery to see if it has a shorted cell or is just not holding a charge and needs to be replaced. You can send the photos with your post if you want..........never a bad idea. R.J.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The batteries didn't help the situation. There isn't a reset switch or button anywhere to be found. We tried doing the manual crank, but you can only turn it a couple turns pretty free, but once the chain gets tension in it, its difficult to turn the motor. If I backed off a little, I could push the button (that normally works to move the slide in/out automatically) and it would pull it in only till the chain was pulled absolutely tight. We're not sure if there is a jam/kink in the cables or if this means the motor is shot. Any suggestions?
If you can take the motor loose so the chain will turn that might help and it may also help you to see if the chain or cables have a bind in them. Any chance that something got caught in this and has it in a bind? Motors rarely go out in a slide system. Take a tape measure and check the distance from the wall of the coach to the same point on both sides of the room to see if the room may be cocked some and not tracking properly. Let me know what you find. I will be out for a bit and then back all evening...........R.J.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was thinking that as a last resort I might take the cable off the gear at bottom of the motor and try to push in the slide, but I wasn't sure if two people would be able to do this and also what would keep the slide from going back out whle we are going down the road.
Two people can move a slide if it isn't cocked on the opening. And you can get some slide locks at any RV shop that will allow you to move it with no problems. They are adjustable and come in pairs. What did you get when you measured those distances on either side?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Havent measured yet, about to head out there and check. My wife will relay mesages to you if we have any questions.
I will be out for a while, but back here later and available all weekend except Saturday.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good news, we found that the cable to the lower part of the slide had partially broken and the small cables strands had made a small knot in the pulley we couldn't see. We pulled the broken strands out and were able to slide in. Looking at it I'm not sure if I want to try and replace the cable myself or have it done. Thanks for your help
Glad you located the problem.............the manual should show you how to change out the cable and adjust it if you want to give it a shot. You might give a mobile tech in your area a call and see what he would charge you to do it. Make sure he has done one of these before as you don't want to pay for OJT. Get back to me if you need more help with this and thanks for giving us a "shout" here at Just Answer! R.J.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This cable has been replaced but now is completely broken, the cable is gone from the lower part of the cabin. I need to close this slide out to get it in for repairs how can I do this with the cable broken?
You can get someone to assist you in pushing it back in and then use some slide locks that RV shops sell to hold it in while you travel. Are you using some slide lubricant on a regular basis? That and some seal lubricant can really help reduce the drag on slide rooms. Thetford makes some good ones, but there are others. Be sure the dealer is acquainted with this product. Hope that helps. Get back to me if you need more. I hope you keep the slide out manual as that may be helpful and most give you the steps for manual slide out "in and out" use. R.J.