Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

2008 fleetwood: trouble locating..drained..winterized you motor home

hello
we have a 2008 fleetwood excursion and we are having trouble locating the main water value to make sure the system is drained to be winterized.

how do you know if you have winterized you motorhome completely
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Most of these have either a master valve on the service panel in your bay where all the water and sewer controls are or they have a at least two sets of low point drains which you usually see in a bay of underneath which a cap on them or a valve you open up and then close again. One set on each side. This is usually addressed in your owner's manual. If you don't happen to have one they are available from Fleetwood Customer Service at(NNN) NNN-NNNNfor about $15. They come in a PDF download version or hard copy. Many of the newer water lines are red and blue showing which is which. Some are both white. If you are pumping RV antifreeze through the system after you drain the water heater and put it on bypass it is just a matter of opening all the taps for a short time untill you see the fluid color and then splash the traps in your sinks and shower. Hope this helps.........Get back to me if you need more on this. R.J.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
You may not have seen my whole answer.............I added to it. If this isn't clear come back to this again and I can give you more detail. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok in the compartment wher the controls are for sanitation ie gray and black water there 2 values that say cold water drain and hot water drain. are they the drains we are looking for? in the panel where the hot water contols are my husband has removed the drain plug and nothing further is coming out. to make sure the system is winterize we need to turn on the water pump (on in the sanitation compartment, the bathroom or the sink) then open the values in the sanitation station. until some pink antifreeze comes out. do we have to turn on all the pumps and open all the faucets?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The sink is gurgling but no antifreeze is coming out. How much antifreeze should it take.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Are you using it out of the jug or did you pour it into the fresh water tank? Larger coaches take about 2 to 3 gallons as a rule. Those are the drains...........be sure there aren't a pair on the other side. Be sure you have the water heater drained and the bypass in the "on" position. Most Fleetwood coaches have a single lever that you put into the "bypass" position on the panel. The water heater will have a drain either with a plug as on an Atwood unit or the anode rod on a Suburban unit which is right in the center on the bottom. Let the pressure off first at the PTR valve which is that lever that you flip up. Let the water cool first. If you tell me which brand of water heater you have I can get you a manual for it. These are handy to have. Some coaches have a place to insert a hose into the jug of RV antifreeze and turn the valve on and then activate the pump. Then you open each tap in your coach one at a time until the pink fluid shows and then do the next one. Be sure you have removed any water filter first and bypassed that or plugged it off and the same on the icemaker if you have one on your fridge. Do this on the rear of the fridge at the water fill valve. Take the lines off the valve and let it empty. Don't forget to run the toilet some and then splash fluid into the drains on the sinks and shower. Do any outside shower fixture as well. Be sure the batteries are fully charged and then hit the disconnects and I recommend taking the ground leads off so they don't drain. Get back to me if this isn't clear. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My husband has put about 4-5 gallons in. he doesn,t see a by-pass value where the filter system is in the sanitation compartment. he said when opens the gray water value the antifreeze comes out is that right. this is so frustrating the manual is very vague it shows you a picture of the value but not where it is and if the hot and cold water drains are the right values in our santation compartment then they don,t even look like the value in the picture. when we have the water pumps on the sink first spits a little water then just gurrgles. you,ve been very helpful it just that it,s difficult when you can find what's being described. my husband did pour some antifreeze in the the sinks and drains and the toilet.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Very little should be in the gray water tank. Where are you putting this in? The water heater has to be on bypass to keep from filling it with antifreeze. The bypass valve will be close to the water heater as a rule. Some are on the wall of the bay compartment next to the water heater. Get back to me and we can get this sorted out. Once you do this once it is much easier the next time. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not that much came out of the gray water value my husband thinks that it was from when he poured in the sinks and drains. we still cannot find the by-pass valve near the water heater. thank God it's going to be in above freezing for the next week. I'm going to make an appointment at the dealership just to make sure we did it right. again thank you for your help
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome.............please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer.
R.J.
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience: RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.