gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

Coachmen..water tank..drain plug..instructions for winterizing this rv

Customer Question

We are trying to winterize a Coachmen 2007 Class "C" Freelander model 315055. Where is the fresh water tank located and where is the drain plug located? Do you have instructions for winterizing this RV? We have the instructions in the manual but they are hard to understand. Thanks.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Do you have a service panel with all the controls for water fill and draining tanks in one of your service bays? If so, the drain valve is usually in there. Get back to me and I can give you the instructions for winterizing. You should have a manual in your coach literature that shows the drain. It is almost impossible to keep all these in memory as they are all different and we can't "see" yours from here. I will watch for your post. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The manual says to "Drain system by opening faucets, low point line drains, and removing water heater drain plug. For products with the 4 valve Water Works Panel, place hot and cold water line drain valves in the "open" position." We do not have a 4 valve panel. Ours is a 2 valve water works panel. The drain valve is not there. There is a place to put the antifreeze but that is all that is on this panel. Where are the "low point drains" ? How many "low point drains" do we have to open? I have looked in the manual and there is no drawing to show where these are or tell me how many there are. We cannot locate the fresh water tank. We expect the drain to be at the bottom of the tank.

In your answer you refer to a service bay. We have a water works service panel on the outside of the RV as explained above. I do not know of a service bay with any controls for the fresh water. Do you think there is another "service bay"?

What is the cost for this advice? I agreed to pay $15.00. If there will be an additional charge, I want to cancel. Thanks.

Elaine Landrum
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
The fee you offered covers this until it is fully answered to your satisfaction and only gets paid when you hit the "Accept" tab which doesn't come up until I feel I have given you an answer. Even then we can continue and there is no other fee. Multiple responses are fine and expected. We can't usually do this in one posting.

That being said..........the "low point drains" will be under the coach and have either a cap that screws on them or a valve you turn to open. They are in pairs and most coaches have two sets. Newer models sometimes have both red and blue lines for hot and cold. Older ones will be white but still in pairs. If you have looked in all your service bays for the tank and don't see it then it is probably tucked between the floor and frame. Some coaches have a valve which is just like a gray water valve where you pull out the handle to release the water from the tank. Some are more like a standard PVC valve with a red handle that you turn 90 degrees for off and on. All these coaches are different and it is nearly impossible to recall them all by description of year and model. When we do this we just know what to look for and generally where to look. What do the two valves on your panel say on the label? Get back to me and let me know what you find and we can go from there. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
How can this be finished when I never received an answer? Please cancel my question and payment. I still do not know where the drain is. If you cannot tell me the exact location or if there is one, I do not need to try to work with you. Please cancel my payment. Thanks. P. S. We have winterized the RV another way. Never found the drain.

Elaine Landrum
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please cancel this question. I have not received the answer and we have winterized the RV another way. Please cancel payment because I did not receive any information that was useful. Thanks. I was expecting a reply that gave the exact location of the drain so I did not have to hunt for it. There may not be a drain. If you cannot tell me where the drain is or if there is in fact a drain, I have gained nothing. If you cannot tell me specific info about our RV such as ' drain is on the left side of RV 2 feet behind the door', then you have not helped! I expected something like a drawing of the under parts of our RV showing where the tank is located. Sorry. I request a refund.

Elaine Landrum
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Not a problem................a refund will be requested for you. It may take a few days. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry but I do not have time to continue with this. Thanks for requesting the refund.

Elaine Landrum
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
That is just the other format...........no information was needed, I just merely wanted you to know that a refund had been requested for you.............no response is needed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. I really appreciate that.

Elaine Landrum