gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

1999 Prowler: heater..with a switch inside the trailer

How do I light the hot water heater. It's a 1999 Prowler with a switch inside the trailer. We tried the switch and read the manual, but thepictures don't tell much. and, yes, Ido have propane, thegas stove works.
Category: RV
Expert:  gene replied 3 years ago.
Can you give me the make and model of the water heater?
Have you tried it several times to be sure the air is purged out of the lines?
Open the door outside and have someone turn it on,does it spark or nothing happens at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we did try several times and there is something going on like it wants to light, but no gas is there. gave up for a while and I am heating up water on the stove for dishes. It is an Atwood heater, electronic ignition and 6 gallons capacity. Also, once I get it on, does it stay on? Or, do I relight each time and how do I shut it off.
Expert:  gene replied 3 years ago.
Here is a manual on the water heater,it explains how it works and what to check,look it over and get back to me.Has it been working and just quit?Turn the switch on,it should go out when it is trying to light,if the light comes back on,it didn't light.With a 12 volt test light check for power at the thermostat,power goes through the thermostat to the board,the board then cycles and tries to light the water heater,when it is sparking you should have power to the gas valve and it should light.The manual explains this as well as sequence of operation.Check these things and get back to me.

Edited by gene on 10/17/2010 at 2:13 AM EST
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience: 28 yrs exp in the industry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Gene, I'll print itn out at work and try again. Thanks, Shirley
Expert:  gene replied 3 years ago.
Let me know Shirley,will help any way I can.
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience: 28 yrs exp in the industry