Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

We have a 1979 Vogue motorhome that we are rebuilding. It was

Customer Question

We have a 1979 Vogue motorhome that we are rebuilding. It was the creme de la creme when build selling for 90,000. It has a very strong engine and transmission, however, the last few trips we've made in it it has overheated. Checked the timing, had the radiator cleaned, added coolong lines to the radiator. It still overheats but not all the time. HELP!!
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. One of the most common causes of overheating is the thermostat sticking. Did they replace this when they cleaned the radiator.............that usually is SOP for this. The other thing that causes this is a blown head gasket. It puts exhaust gas into the water jacket and heats up the water and it spues it out. That can be checked sometimes by testing the compression on the cylinders and looking for air bubbles in the coolant. Hope that helps............R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We did install a new thermostat-went from 180 to a 160. Compression is at about 125 on each cylinder. Haven't observed any bubbles in the coolant. This engine will not cool unless it has coolant, according to the manual. What's your opinion on replacing the radiator??We love Tilly the Tortuga and don't want to give up on her-but-this is the one problem we can't seem to conquer. Thanks, Allen
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for getting back to me, Allen........When you have an intermittent problem like you mention the most common problem is the thermostat........I had the same problem not long ago on my Dodge. Sometimes it would overheat and then the next time it would be fine. Even new thermostats can go bad. The other thing that happens sometimes but not that often is that the water pump impeller spins on the shaft and won't perform properly. This is rare so I would check the t-stat first. Are you sure a hose isn't collapsing? Older hoses can do this sometimes and impede the water flow. Don't give up on the old girl just yet.........R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi R.J. What is your opinion on replacing the radiator?? I have found a larger radiator that can be put in. I neglected to mention that I put in an auxiliary fan to help with cooling it helps sometimes-not others. I suspect thet the radiator has been replaced on this Dodge because the brackets are thicker than the current radiator. Allen
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
A larger radiator is always a plus............but, it may not resolve this issue as sometimes it seems to work fine as is. That issue still needs an answer. Perhaps worth a try and do the thermostat again.........they are not expensive so not a big deal if that isn't it. Lots of parts out there now made in China that aren't that great. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi R.J. Since I'm going to replace the stat anyway-should I go with a 160 or a higher temp ??
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
I would stay with whatever came stock in this vehicle........although I don't think with the larger radiator it will make much difference. R.J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The stock stat is no longer available and therein may lie the rub. I'm taking the stat out as we speak. Thanks much Allen
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Let me know how it turns out..........and you may be able to pick up a good used one. Let me know if you need a list of suppliers. R.J.
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience: RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
Expert:  Randall replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the positive Feedback comment and the bonus.........much appreciated! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. You can always ask for me by name. Most of the time I can give you a quick answer and save you a bunch of $$$ besides. R.J.