Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

my water heater will not stay lit it fires..coupler..motor home

my water heater will not stay lit it fires then gos out i am thinking themo coupler thats what i would look to in my home computer . but i can not be sure where it is on the moter home water heater . i have a picture of what i think it is . what do you think?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. It might be depending on what make and model water heater you have. Sometimes it is caused by low LP pressure at the regulator. This needs to be checked at least once a year with a manometer. Any RV shop can do this for you. You can take the regulator off and into them if that is more convenient. Some are not adjustable and will need to be replaced if not in spec. Go and click HERE for a copy of the Suburban Service Manual which covers the various models. Go and click HERE for the one which covers the Atwood models. I would print out a copy of at least Bookmark the one that fits yours so you can come back to it. Get back to me with the make and model of yours and we can go further with the diagnosis. Part of that will be if you have a manual or electronic ignition model. The data tag will be found on the R/H side of the unit once you open the inspection cover outside. Both manuals have a series of diagnostic checks you can perform. I will watch for your post. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the water heater is suburban model sw10 de ok sound from manual like you may be right how do i remove the regulator and what dos it look like sorry i am so stupid about this but i do not know what thr regulator looks like
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
This model is a direct spark model and has no thermocouple. It has a "flame sense" on the control board which acts the same way and performs the same function. If the flame sense goes bad the control board won't "see" the flame and turn the gas valve off. This is a common problem. Take the control board into a shop and have it tested. If it is bad, then I would use an after market board made by Dinosaur Electronics as they are far superior to the OEM boards and have a terrific warranty should you ever need it. Don't forget to tell them to modify it for a water heater. There is a resister that needs to come off. Have your regulator tested at the same time. Check the plug where it attaches to the control board and be sure it doesn't have any corrosion on it. Use a pencil eraser to clean the tang on the board. This can be a problem in places with lots of humidity. Get back to me if you need more help with this. Check the electrode as shown in the manual and the burner tube for any debris like cobwebs or mud dobber huts. This would do this as well. The manual gives you all the causes to check for each symptom. R.J.
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience: RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.