Steve F.
Steve F., RVIA Certification
Experience:  Journeyman and Master RV technician, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineer. RVIA Technical Consultant

transfer relay switch on a 1992 fleetwood southwind 35.5 motor home

where is the transfer relay switch on a 1992 fleetwood southwind 35.5 motor home
Category: RV
Expert:  Steve F. replied 3 years ago.

It should be behind your converter. When I say this, I mean that if you actually remove the entire converter from the wall, you should find it behind there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the converter is under the fridge beside the fuse box and mounted to the floor
Expert:  Steve F. replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, assumed you had a combination distribution panel/converter. So you've already looked behind the distribution panel then?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes I seen how they look and dont see anything like that there or anywhere else,
Expert:  Steve F. replied 3 years ago.
Did you try following the AC line back from your converter, or forward from the shore power cord junction box?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am trying to find it because when it failed it fried the ground in the control box is that possible?
Expert:  Steve F. replied 3 years ago.

When transfer switches fail, especially through arcing, they tend to do all kinds of nasty things to the wiring, but fortunately it's generally confined to the transfer switch box itself. Sometimes they take out other electronics though, so yes it's possible. What control box are you referring to though? Are you referring to the converter or what?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the ground at the front of the breaker box
Expert:  Steve F. replied 3 years ago.
What exactly is the problem/symptom?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the 120 when plugged in doesnt work at all if I turn on the generator no 120 works but the air conditioner works. I took it to our local rv man and he found a burned ground, he fixed it but it didnt fix the problem. also when I wouild run the air before I could run both on the generator now I can only run one at a time as if I was hooked up to 120
Expert:  Steve F. replied 3 years ago.

Your generator has a 20A DEDICATED circuit strictly for one of your air conditioners. This circuit does NOT go through the transfer switch.

So what I think is happening is that obviously your transfer switch has failed, which has eliminated all your 120V, EXCEPT for the one dedicated air conditioner.

So, everything will be normal I think once we find that blasted transfer switch and replace it.

Steve F., RVIA Certification
Experience: Journeyman and Master RV technician, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineer. RVIA Technical Consultant