Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Fleetwood: all the way...stops hard and sounds like it hit the end

Customer Question

I have a Fleetwood Bounder with Power Gear Slide out Model 521897. This is the kitchen/living slideout...big one. It will NOT go out all the way...stops hard and sounds like it hit the end of the line or a stop bolt...something.

Nothing is in the slide to obstruct. I jacked up the slide out (both ends) to make sure there was nothing in there.

Earlier, with the slideout all the way out, it would NOT retract. I lubricated all the gears with WD40 and ultimately had to use two wrenches to help turn the drive shaft. It broke free and closed, but now it will NOT open all the way?

Suggestions..
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. Go HERE for a manual which covers all the Power Gear electric slide rooms. Find the one you have as they make a number of models. See the trouble shooting section. Follow the steps of things to check. This sounds like maybe you broke a pin on the drive gear on one side. This can happen pretty easily on these big slides if you don't keep them lubed up and wiper seal lubricant so they don't have so much resistance when they move. All those seals add to the friction and work these large room too hard. Get back to me with what you find. I am about ready to head to the barn as I am in Florida. I will check back first thing in the morning. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have searched this manual. thanks for the link. unfortunately, the Fleetwood slideout for the dinette/living area is not outlined.

I have inspected all the drive gears (opening and closing the slide out) and on both sides. All look good, clean and lubricated.

The model Power Gear is 521897. Double sided with motor in the middle on the drive shaft on either side. The slide out works fine. Just stops about 5 inches short of opening all the way. It sounds like it is at the end of it's track and "pops" when it stops. Again, I have inspected for any obstructions under/over/sides, etc. Closes fine.

I am wondering if there is a calibration I can do...should I release the motor brake and manually crank it out to fully open?

Thanks RJ...

Scott

Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
O.K, Scott............That manual covers all the electric slides they make so far as I know.........I have never seen one that wasn't. Is the 5" the same on the top and the bottom? No tilt problems? You can try that but don't force it. Are you inspecting the tracks underneath? No broken teeth on the drive gears or tracks? Look carefully. Let me go back and see if I can find any more information on this unit. Let me know what you find.
R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Correct. No tilt problems. All tracks and teeth visible are in good shape. I have slowly opened and watched on both sides to make sure. It just stops as if it was at the end of the motor cycle or thinks it is complete. Don't know if it is calibrated in such a manner or not. I searched the document several times for Fleetwood and I realize there is a range of models so model number search isn't practical

Thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
O.K...........they do have several models that have an adjustable controller. I was pretty sure the Manual showed this. If you have the number off your controller I can get a Tip Sheet for that........it may be this one HERE so take a look at this and see if you have one like it. They want you to use caution on these adjustments as it you go too far it can damage the slide room or parts. Let me know what you find. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Under the RV right how. On motor is
Stearns 8130 OBJY2

part of the motor assembly with the brake switch. That's all I see

controller in RV has red and black connection only and so does the motor

Thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
That sounds like this one in the link I gave you..........black and red from the motor and two leads in from the power source. Those may be black and red as well. Black is the negative and red is the positive. Can you get me the number off the controller as that is how Power Gear identifies them? R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The controller being the on off switch in the RV? That appears to be a generic slideout switch. Took it apart and it is just red/black wire connection. There is no brain to this switch. Not even a part number and doesn't even indicate Power Gear.

Sorry, I know you are blind to seeing this. I don't see any other controllers?

Thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
No.........the controller in the link HERE..........this where the wires go. The switch is on the wall. Two different parts. That is where the adjustment is. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will look for this controller. Have not seen it yet. I have to go to church too. Be back in a few hours. Thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
I will be here all day..........follow the motor leads to it. Not very big. Usually right near the slide room or on the slide itself. R.J.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Any luck with the controller yet? R.J.