Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

Fleetwood: driveway..I heard a high pitched sound coming from inside

Customer Question

I have a 24 foot Fleetwood Jamboree RV...it has been sitting in the driveway for a couple of months. Tried to start it today when I heard a high pitched sound coming from inside. It would not turn over. The high pitched sound continued until I placed jumper cables on the battery and connected them to my Tahoe...however, the RV would still not turn over..."click click click click" is what I heard as I tried to start it.

I tried jump starting it for 10 minutes; I am not all that familiar with the emergency battery, but I also pushed that button to see if it would help...it didn't. The generator won't turn on (although i know that doesn't have anything to do with starting it). There is a little gas in the tank. The high pitched beeping seemed to go away after I tried jump starting it.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. That high pitched beeping was probably the LP gas detector which goes off when the battery gets low. You have to turn that off when you aren't using your RV or it will drain the batteries. Also check the fridge and see if it has a dehumidifier switch right below the control panel if it is a Dometic model. This is a small heater which helps to keep the humidity and condensation down in your fridge and it can pull the batteries down as well. If you have low batteries you should be able to plug into shore power and get the batteries to charge up using the battery charging capabilities from your converter but it takes some time. Also turning "off" the batteries will help by hitting the disconnect solenoids. Some have one on the dash and one by the door or on the overhead or both in that area. Many Fleetwood products use on by Intellitec and it says "use" or "store" on the switch. "Store" is the "off" position and takes the batteries out of the circuit. Get back to me if you need more on this. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

where do I find the LP gas detector? Or, at least the switch that turns it off?

By "shore power" do you mean, plug it into a normal outlook inside the garage?

I am going to go out and try some of these things you've suggested right now.

I wish I understood this monster a little better before my wife strong-armed me into buying it!!

Happy 4th Randy...thanks for your help and if you have time to get back to me on these couple questions, I'd appreciate it...

Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
The LP detector is that brown (usually) device right at floor level with the green light. Most have a switch where you can turn them off. When you do it shuts the LP off at the tank so don't forget to turn it on again when you get ready to go. Shore power is the name for the cord to the power source. There are some things it is really good to know about. Read up on the appliances from the manuals. Have the batteries tested each year and keep the water level up. Keep the terminals clean. Have the LP pressure checked at least once each year at the regulator on the tank. Check the roof and have it washed and treated once each year. Treat any cracks in the sealer. A roof leak can be very expensive to repair! Just staying on top of a few things can make RVing a lot more pleasurable. I teach maintenance classes and minor trouble shooting to RVers for that very reason. Let me know if you need more help with this. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks RJ...last two questions...

would you expect the RV to turn over if I attach the long cord to our house's power for an hour or so?

And, should I try jump starting the battery again for any reason?

Thanks much and I will get that answer accepted as soon as I can...I'm just not sure if I "accept" the answer now if that cuts our thread of conversation and I'm hoping for your answers to these last two questions.

Thanks RJ and Happy 4th.

Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Accepting doesn't keep me from responding........you can Bookmark this and come back to it at any time. It will take longer than an hour to charge up the batteries. And you have to be sure they are "on" and in the circuit. Invest in an inexpensive VOM meter and a 12 VDC test light for about $25 for the both of them. These are you best friends when it comes time to do this sort of thing. You can jump start it but be sure you do it correctly. Positive to positive and negative to negative. Positive on first and off last. Key off in the vehicle until you are ready to start it. Read up on this in your owner's manual that came with the vehicle from Ford..........some have different ways of doing this. Hope your 4th was safe............R.J.
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience: RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

RJ,

The thing started up! We got it moved to the side of the house where we wanted it and it's become like an old friend again!. I appreciate your help! Thanks and have a great summer!

Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Good! Glad you got it going..........come back again if you ever have a problem that needs some quick attention. We can usually save you time and money on most problems. All the best, R.J.