Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

2002 Fleetwood: a V - 10 Triton..Chassis..RV

I have a 2002 Fleetwood Flair 31A Class A motorhome with a V-10 Triton. I am not sure which Ford Chassis I have and can't find any identifying plates or tags on the coach. It did not come from the used RV dealer with any manuals or data. More important question is I get a popping/clunking sound from the left from suspension area when driving and the coach is swaying/dipping etc. I have visually inspected for anything broken, bent, loose but it all appears normal. I would like to fix it myself if it's an easy to moderate repair otherwise I would take it to a suspension/spring shop. Any ideas or knowledge of past similar complaints?
Thanks,
Jim
Submitted: 4 years ago via Automotix.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. The obvious things are the bushings and shocks and tie rod ends. Sounds like you checked these. Be sure you have it off the ground so you can check the play in the steering. This is a fairly common complaint on some of the Fleetwood models. There are a number of after market products that are available from Blue Ox and Roadmaster to name two of the biggest that can give you a more positive feel and less sway. Good tires that are properly balanced are a must. Check the wear pattern on the tires to see if you have a camber or toe in issue. Proper alignment is needed for this not to "wander". If you are handy with tools you should be able to put on these products. I have installed a number of them and most customers give a positive feedback about the improved ride. Let me know if you need more help with this. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Randall,
Thanks for the info. Before I can order new Bilstein shocks or a heavier anti-sway bar (which is my plan) I need to know which Ford chassis I have. I haven't been able to find that anywhere on the coach. Do you know where to look? I've also checked the internet with no luck. I've dealt with Roadmaster before and like their products beside being a local company.
The bushings all look good as do tie rod ends and shocks. The coach has 60K miles on It with newer tires. It does not drift and the wear pattern is normal as is air pressure. The steering wheel feedback is normal. I have heard that leaf spring isolators can cause weird noises. Have you any experience with that happening?
Jim
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Well, Jim.........You can get any number of symptoms on these and "noises" of one sort or another. I would call Fleetwood Customer Service at(NNN) NNN-NNNNand they can tell you what you need and also supply a manual for you for about $15. They come in hard copy or a PDF download version. There should be a Fleetwood Identification Number someplace on there, usually near the driver's seat. The VIN number would also give them that or a Ford dealer can tell you. Hope that helps.........R.J.
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience: RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.