Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

I have a Dometic quick cool 15000 btu roof top air conditioner

I have a Dometic quick cool 15000 btu roof top air conditioner model # XXXXX serial #(NNN) NNN-NNNN and the product # XXXXX believe to be is XXXXXXXXX on a keystone montana 5th wheel. this unit has a ditigal remote made by Dometic which controls all the cooling and heating functions for the unit. The climate control inside the unit has been somewhat of a problem using this remote. Turning the a/c unit on or off has been iratic for a week or so and yesterday the unit got stuck in the cooling cycle with no control in temp or on-off positions. I had to unplug the 5or six prong wiring harness from the back of the wall mounted control unit to get the unit to shut down, and now the a/c will not turn on. No fuse or breaker has been blown or tripped. There is no response from the remote or the manual overide. I know the unit was working since I had to physically unplug the control function. My question: Is there some control board in the a/c unit that might have gone bad.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. They aren't making this any more as they had so much trouble with it. Go HERE for a manual on the remote and how to reset it. Sometimes it freezes up (no pun intended) like your computer. Try that and let me know if you need more help with the trouble shooting if it won't reset or that doesn't resolve this for you. Go HERE for the complete Service Manual for the A/C units which will give you some of the steps to take and tests to perform. A VOM meter will be needed for this. If you don't have one they can be purchased at most automotive stores, hardware stores, Radio Shack or Walmart for about $15 and are easy to use. I prefer the digital readout versions as I think most people can read the meter easier. R.J.

Edited by RANDALL on 6/14/2010 at 4:34 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the answer, but I have already tried that procedure. The remote seems to be functioning properly. My question concerns the mougle's that control the various functions. The remote overide does not work. The a/c will not function in of the various mode's, i.e., cool, heat or fan. There is power to the unit. I am being told that there is a control mogule in the a/c that controls the various functions. Could this be the problem and if so how would I check this and where to I go to purchase a new board?
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
The receiver may be bad or it may be the control module. See page 52 in the manual for testing procedure on this. You need a standard phone jack to plug onto the end of the cable where it attaches to the receiver. If you are getting voltage from the control module to the receiver and that doesn't work then that is the problem. No voltage then the module is the problem. Some of these are NLA and you have to buy an upgrade kit which has several parts. If you take the ceiling panel off you can see the control module and get the part number off of it. Get back to me with what you find and a part number. I will let you know what options you have at that point. R.J.
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience: RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
What did you find when you tested this? Do you need more help........let me know. R.J.