Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

1991 Fleetwood: Flair..rv..leaking roof, should I repair or replace it

I have a 1991 Fleetwood Flair Class A RV with a leaking roof, should I repair or replace it?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi There!!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer...

This is tough one on the roof. I would first look at the sealant, if the sealant looks cracked and has voids it could be your problem. You may be able to clean the areas real good and use some dicor self leveling sealant to seal up any bad areas. IF you have a rubber membrane on the roof and only a small area is ripped or torn then you can try a repair kit. Most places like camping world carry the supplies. IF the entire membrane needs to be replaced you are looking at allot of labor time. I would call around to at least 3 shops because the labor rates vary, but it will be expensive a few thousand dollars when all said and done, so it might be better to try a repair if you can identify the source of the leak.

question 2.......... The best way to approach the fuel gage is to first verify that you have power. get a 12 volt test light, turn the ignition On and probe all the fuses for power in the chassis fuse box.. Many times it is an issue with the sender on the tank. This could be bad because allot of times you have to drop the tank to access the sender. IF you can get to the sender check the connections. Find the ground wire on the sender and dis-connect it. Turn the ignition on and have someone watch the gage. Touch the ground to the chassis frame, the gage should sweep. IF it does sweep you have a bad sender. In the shop it takes about 4 hours to replace this. IF you go this route get the fuel level down before service, this will save on the labor time. Takes some time draining and filling the fuel in the tank.... Hope this helps, if you have more questions please feel free to contact me...

Thank You!!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUs welcomed!!!!

Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience: 18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is leaking from so many defferant places, should I use a roof coating? If so which is the best kind to use?
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

OK

THIS should work for you but I would give them a call and verify what you are wanting to do. You will have to strip down the roof prior and will need some dry weather. Also If you remove the roof AC'S I would put new gaskets on. Places like camping world should be able to get them for you. It can be done but will take you some time....

Hope this helps..

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!