Tim Collard
Tim Collard, RVIA Certification
Experience:  Master Certified RV Tech & Owner/operator of a Mobile RV Repair business.
31209456

oh great! our hot water stopped running. The tank has water

oh great! our hot water stopped running. The tank has water in it and the cold water runs fine....
Category: RV
Expert:  Tim Collard replied 4 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll try to help
When you say the tank is full do you mean the fresh water tank or the hot water tank?
And did you say the cold is running fine?
One more, what type of winterizing by-pass system do you have, is there 1 valve, 2 valves or 3
Let me know and we'll see where we go from there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello! Thank-you for your assistance. The hot water tank has water in it. We are connected to the city water supply. The cold water is running fine. We just arrived at this site. The hot water was running fine this morning and my hubby was doing the dishes when the water just stopped running. We have a bypass for the hot water tank, one valve, along with a low water drain valve for the fresh and hot water tank.
I also tried the pressure release valve on the hot water tank and hot water came out. I did turn the heater off.
Good information...Thanks
So when you cracked the pressure valve outside, was there really good pressure coming out or was it just dribbling out. (Be careful not to get burnt) We need to determine if the obstruction is on the supply line or the discharge. If the pressure is real strong, then the tank is getting water.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the pressure is really strong and when we open the drain valve it is spraying out, very hot.
Just to be sure, you checked for water at all of your sinks, kitchen and bathroom. Cold water only on all of them?
Also confirm, your water heater bypass is a single handle probably blue in color?
If yes to both, on the water heater, inside, there will be 2 water connections, the bottom one is the water in (cold) and the top one is the water out (Hot). Is there a brass fitting on the hot water outlet (Hot), about an inch or so long, a check valve?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, cold water from the cold water taps, no water at all from the hot water taps. My husband has located the check valve on the back of the hot water heater and is giving it a couple taps right now....
Good, if he feels comfortable do this, he can just crack the line to see if there is pressure in the line. Be very careful, water is still hot. Check to see if water pressure is there or not. If not, drain the tank and remove the check valve and inspecting it for an obstruction.
Let me know
Tim Collard, RVIA Certification
Experience: Master Certified RV Tech & Owner/operator of a Mobile RV Repair business.