Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

I have a Atwood 8500 series Hydro Flame furnace..circuit

Customer Question

I have a Atwood 8500 series Hydro Flame furnace. It has been working fine but now it
tries to start but will not ignite. The circuit board light blinks three times with a three
second pause. The manuel says that is an ignition lock out. What do I need to do to fix it.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. This code usually happens when you don't have enough LP to fire it. Either the regulator is bad or needs adjusting or perhaps the LP level is just low in the tank. In cold weather you can't run the tank clear out. There won't be enough BTUs of vapor and the colder the ambient temperature the worse it gets. Try to keep the tanks as full as you can. The first thing is check these things and then try to refire it. Once you turn if off at the t-stat it will reset the board. It can be caused by other things but try those first. Always be sure your batteries are full of water and that you have enough voltage. Get back to me if this doesn't resolve your problem. IF you found this information helpful, please hit the "ACCEPT' tab so I get credit for assisting you. All the best, R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have checked all those things. I have two propane tanks and they both have ample propane. Out side with the door open I can accually smell propane in the exhaust when it is trying yo fire. I can hear a loud click when it tries to ignite but nothing happens.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Can you actually hear the clicking of the igniter? If not, then take the control board out and have it checked at a local shop. If this is the original board it is probably bad. If so I would replace it with one made my Dinosaur Electronics as they are far superior to the OEM units and have an outstanding warranty should you ever need it. It is called a Fan 50 Plus board. The OEM boards have given lots of problems. You should have the LP regulator checked at least once each year as low LP pressure is responsible for many gas related issues. The board just unplugs. Get back to me if you need more help with this. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As I said in the previous reply I can hear a click several times before it shuts down.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
That doesn't mean that it is good........it may not be opening the gas valve. Have it checked out. Do you have flame at the stovetop? You don't have the LP dedector off? R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I,m sorry but I am confused. I can smell propane when it is trying to ignite and I can hear a click. What sould I do just start replacing parts.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a good blue flame at the stove top? If so you are getting LP. If you ran the LP low it may just need to be refired a few times to purge the line. Do that first by turning the t-stat off and retying it a few times. If that doesn't work then take the board out and have it checked. If the board tests out good we will go from that point. There are multiple causes for this. We have to rule out the most probable and work from there. Let me know what you find. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where can I get the board you suggested if this one is bad
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Most RV shops will have it in stock. Many like myself don't sell the OEM board because it has had so many failures. You can also get one online at Camping World. Have it tested first. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I forgot to tell you that I do have a good flame on the stove thats the first thing I checked. I will contact some of the local RV repair shops in San Antonio to see if they can test the board. I,ll get back to you when that is done. How do I get back to you to release my payment once I am satisfied?
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
There is a tab that comes up which says "ACCEPT' and you click on that. I am sure most of the shops in that area would be able to test yours and have the Dinosaur board if you need it. Just come back on this thread to let me know how it went. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
I will watch for your post.........
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Randy I had the circuit board tested and it is good, where do I go from here?
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes when you run a test on them they do test good but aren't.......this seems to be a problem with intermittent errors. Sometimes they test good and sometimes they won't when you do repetitive tests. Some won't test good under load. In any event, if you have a test light we can run some tests under actual conditions. It sounds like the ignition side of the board is good, but I am not sure about the gas valve opening or staying open. If you have a test light and can hook it up to any place inside the compartment for a ground and then have someone try to fire the furnace. You want to probe the lead going to the gas valve. I can get you a link to a manual if you need one. Go HERE for that. There is a wiring schematic in there. And HERE is service manual but it may not have the updated material about the new board but the gas valve info is the same. There will be a single red lead going to the gas valve and then it spits into two at the valve. This isn't the igniter lead which is the larger and orange lead. What we want to see is if there is power coming to the valve when the board tries to ignite. If so, then the valve may have a bad solenoid on it. These are called "redundant valves" and need BOTH solenoids to open. Sometimes one goes bad. They can be checked with an VOM meter to see if they are good or not. See page 24 of the service manual. Lets just see if we have power to the valve first. I will be here all morning and will watch for your post. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your help. It appears that I will have to run some tests on my own.

I hope that the url for the service manual will help.

Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
It is an excellent manual and easy to follow. If you have power to the gas valve then check the ohms reading on EACH coil. They should read around 40 or so and within 10% of each other. If a coil is bad you can buy one at any RV store or online at Camping World. The part numbers are in the back of the manual. Sooner or later you will want to get the Dinosaur Control Board. I am still not convinced yours is good. I have tested too many that tested good on the tester that didn't work in the furnace. Junk! Some didn't go 3 months! Let me know if you need more help with this. IF you found this information helpful, please hit the "ACCEPT' tab so I get credit for assisting you. All the best, R.J.