Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

82 coachman rv with only 5,000 miles on it...only blows

Customer Question

I have an 82 Coachman RV with only 5,000 miles on it. Not used very often at all. I turned the heat on this morning and it only blows cold air. I do have lp gas. I lit the stow to make sure. I turned the supply off and then back on. But itstill won't lite. It clicks and the blower comes on, but then I smell gas down by the return in the hall....what can I do myself 2 see what the problem is? I'm very short on funds right now, so if I can do it myself, that would be great. Thank you.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Hi: Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this. Sometimes it is just a lack of LP to the unit. Try turning it off and then back on a few times and see if it will light. If you haven't had the LP pressure adjusted within the last year then it may be low. Low LP pressure is responsible for many gas related issues. Any RV shop can do this for you. If you can't take your unit in you can take it off and take it in to have it checked. Get back to me if it won't fire up. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So it would work just fine all winter and then all of the sudden not? What about if the tank is almost out? would that be the culpret?

Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
The tank needs to be as full as you can. That may be why you smelled the ethyl mercaptan which is the odorant in the gas. Fill the tank and try it again. Let me know how that goes. R.J.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
What was the result when you filled the tank? Please let me know if you got this resolved or not. Thanks! R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning, Randall.

I filled the tank and it still will not lite. It makes the clicking sound, but does not light. I turned off and repeated several times hoping it would finally lite. There is not an outside access panel..grrrr....very hard to get to. Any tricks?

I turned the stove and burners on to get all of the air out of the line hoping that would help. Reclosed the lp line and opened it again.

Nothing. Checked the fuses and breakers. All okay. How can I lite it myself with it being an electric start?

Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
You can't if it has electric ignition. When you fire up all the stove top burners......do then burn with a strong blue flame? Does the water heater fire up fine? These would give you some indication about the regulator. If you get me the make and model of your furnace I can grab a manual for it and send you a link so we have something to go on. It still sounds like it either isn't getting gas or the valve isn't opening and that may be the control board. You can take the board out on most models pretty easily and take it in to be tested. Get back to me and we will get this resolved for you. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Suburban Dynatrail either NT-25K NT-30K OR NT-35K I'm cold
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
If you go HERE you can get a copy of the manual which covers this. All of these are virtually identical except for a few parts. Did you turn up the gas on the stove? What was the result? Unfortunately, you have to pull the furnace out of the housing to get to the control board. This isn't something I recommend for most owners as you have to take the gas line off and that has to be done with lots of caution. You many need to call a mobile tech to give you a hand with this. If you turned the t-stat off and on a few times and it still won't light it may be the control board isn't opening the gas valve. If it turns out you need a new board I would get one made by Dinosaur Electronics out of Oregon as they are far superior to the OEM boards and usually last the life of the furnace. They run about $115 or so. It takes about an hour to pull the furnace and do this repair. In th meantime you could get an oil filled radiator style heater made by DeLongi for about $40 that will give you some good heat and safely. I used to heat my 27 ft 5th wheel just with that in Northern California when the temps were in the 20's. Let me know if I can give you any more information about this. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, i forgot about the stove. It is blue but has yellow and orange shooting thru alot....it wasn't doing that earlier.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Then you may need either the regulator adjusted or replaced. These run about $30 or so and aren't hard to install. The nut that holds it into the tank is a L/H thread nut. LP pressure is always the first place to look when you have these problems. If this regulator is over 5 years old it should be replaced. The diaphragm gets brittle from the ethyl mercaptan in the LP. R.J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It wasn't burning yellowish yesterday. This was the first time ever I put almost 15 gallons in. usually the furnace will stop around 10 galls used up. Can i do this myself? Just take it off and put a new one on?
Expert:  Randall replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Turn the tank off and unscrew it from the tank. Then take the hose loose. The hose has a standard R/H thread. These are available at all RV shops. Put some Teflon tape on the threads on the hose. NONE on the fitting going into the tank. Snug that fitting. Check for leaks with some soapy water without any ammonia in it. The regulator may have a plastic cover over it that you have to take off. It pulls straight up when you take the screws or Teflon tabs out holding it in. R.J.